Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #1

Share |

i want to tie into an existing outlet

http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/a...urrent=053.jpg ok these two pics are the outlet i want to tie into its an outside outlet i want to run power from it about 15 feet into another power outlet then into a switch that will operate a 40 watt fluorescent light. im not planning on running anything from the new outlet except a 1amp battery charger for my boat and of course the fluorescent light. i believe this is the last plug in the circuit because it only has one of each wire in the box. my question is were would i tie into it at. the same connections that the white and black are already hooked to? it has a slot available. or the empty ones at the bottom?

Last edited by treykelly84; 04-16-2010 at 07:02 PM.
treykelly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
the Musigician

Hi and welcome. Outside outlet? Covered? Capped? GFCI?

DM

Old 04-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

From the looks of it, your existing outlet is a GFCI type.

Hooking your new lines into the terminals that are presently empty would give you downstream GFCI protection. Look at the back of the outlet: It's marked "Load"

You will have to connect the bare grounding wires together with a tail back to the outlet, since there is only one ground terminal on it.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
From the looks of it, your existing outlet is a GFCI type.

Hooking your new lines into the terminals that are presently empty would give you downstream GFCI protection. Look at the back of the outlet: It's marked "Load"

You will have to connect the bare grounding wires together with a tail back to the outlet, since there is only one ground terminal on it.
ok so if i use the empty connections marked load ill have gfci protection. if i use the extra slots that are already wired and marked line ill only have protection from the breaker box correct? so if i tie in at the existing wires it wont interfere with anything? i plan on putting a gfci plug in the carport i want to wire
Old 04-17-2010, 02:37 AM   #5

http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac113/beerbebud/?action=view&current=053-1.jpg
ok so i assume thats how i do it tie into the black and white pig tail the ground then run to the new plug then run the black to the switch then proceed to the light