DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   I want to put in a GFCI ckt. (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/i-want-put-gfci-ckt-17909/)

luweee 03-02-2008 01:56 PM

I want to put in a GFCI ckt.
 
Hello everyone

I am wiring basement and have come to the bathroom and kitchenette. I know I have to install a GFCI ckt in each. I was wondering if I can install a GFCI in those rooms from the 20 amp outlet circuitry that I will be installing. I only have 8 outlets on each. Since it(GFCI) has its own Ckt. breaker I cant see why this wouldnt work.

I mean you dont have to have Ckt breaker at service panel for the GFCI ckt. by itself do ya? What a waste! Seems redundant.

Thanks
luweee

chris75 03-02-2008 02:46 PM

THe bathroom needs a dedicated 20 amp circuit, 210.11(C)(3), I dont know if your kitchenette has cooking facilities or not, but if it does you would need to follow the 2 small appliance rule.

duke2043 03-02-2008 02:59 PM

both the bathroom and kitchen should have seperate 20amp circuits

luweee 03-02-2008 03:27 PM

what if the kitchette is acutally a bar. no cooking do you need gfci then?. ..... also if you are watching your watts .. can you legally put your fridge and Garbage disposal on the same ckt. 1000 watt fridge and 400 watt disposer?

duke2043 03-02-2008 03:38 PM

The fridge should be on it's own circuit,if the bar has a sink then that should be on a GFI.Make sure you do not have the fridge on GFI if it would trip and you do not know it then everything would go bad in fridge.The disposal should also be on its own circuit.By code your appliances should be on there own circuits.

handyman78 03-02-2008 03:39 PM

Does the bar have a sink? Then you definitely need GFCI. Fridge and disposer on one? I wouldn't-- if the disposer would jam briefly and pop the breaker and you didn't realize it, you fridge would be defrosting.

A circuit for disposer and dishwasher together I have now. Fridge on its own circuit is recommended.

joed 03-02-2008 03:53 PM

You didn't post your location. If you are in Canada you need a separate circuit for the fridge unless it is a mini or bar fridge. In Canada you do not need a separate circuit for the bathroom.

chris75 03-02-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luweee (Post 103575)
what if the kitchette is acutally a bar. no cooking do you need gfci then?. ..... also if you are watching your watts .. can you legally put your fridge and Garbage disposal on the same ckt. 1000 watt fridge and 400 watt disposer?

Receptacles installed within 6 ft of the outside edge of a wet bar sink must also be GFCI-protected, As far as appliances go, yes you can easily put your fridge (non gfi protected) and your GD (non-gfi protected) on the same circuit, a 20 amp circuit can supply up to 2400 watts.

luweee 03-02-2008 04:15 PM

Im in Omaha NE

Okay fridge and disposer on one ckt. will this meet code?

back to the bathroom... you said 20 amp dedicated ckt? right/

for that bathroom can I put GFI's, lights and fan on that ckt?

Can the bar use the same GFI ckt? NO, cuz then it wouldnt be dedicated right?

HOW ABOUT IF I PUT THE BAR IN THE BATHROOM? JUST KIDDING GUYS.

I have 200 amp service panel .. house is 4 yrs old. how many ckts in a 200 amp ckt panel are allowed? 40? I may still need a subpanel... is this common?
Just currious how many amps are available in a residential location?

duke2043 03-02-2008 04:28 PM

The fridge should be on it's own circuit,if your panel is full I would suggest putting in subpanel that way if you need any circuits in the future you will have space.youcan also tie lights in with the bathrm circuit,if you have a recess light over bath or shower this needs to be GFCI protected.

chris75 03-02-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luweee (Post 103598)
Im in Omaha NE

Okay fridge and disposer on one ckt. will this meet code?

Yes
Quote:

Originally Posted by luweee (Post 103598)
back to the bathroom... you said 20 amp dedicated ckt? right
for that bathroom can I put GFI's, lights and fan on that ckt?

As long as that 20 amp bath circuit does not leave the bathroom then yes you can install the lights and fan on that circuit
Quote:

Originally Posted by luweee (Post 103598)
Can the bar use the same GFI ckt? NO, cuz then it wouldnt be dedicated right?

correct


Quote:

Originally Posted by luweee (Post 103598)
I have 200 amp service panel .. house is 4 yrs old. how many ckts in a 200 amp ckt panel are allowed? 40? I may still need a subpanel... is this common?

Yes & Yes

chris75 03-02-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke2043 (Post 103602)
you have a recess light over bath or shower this needs to be GFCI protected.

This is not required, and the fridge is a waste on its own circuit.

LawnGuyLandSparky 03-02-2008 04:40 PM

What kind of basement "kitchenette" with no cooking facilities needs a disposal?

If you want the correct answers, you need to describe the situation accurately. Try this:

"I am building a kitchenette in a basement apartment. What are my circuit requirements in regards to the refrig, disposal, and bathroom GFCI circuits?"

The CORRECT answers will be:

-1 20a circuit for the bathroom receptacle. Either GFCI protect the circuit or install a GFCI receptacle. This circuit cannot be used for anything outside of the bathroom.

-2 20a GFCI circuits for the kitchen"ETTE" countertop receptacles. You may use one of these circuits for the refrig, or you may opt to put the fridge on it's own 15a or 20a dedicated circuit. If the fridge receptacle is not accessable w/o moving the fridge, it does not require GFCI protection.

-1 15 or 20a circuit for the disposal. You may not use either the bathroom, fridge, or countertop receptaclecircuits for the disposal.

duke2043 03-02-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris75 (Post 103604)
This is not required, and the fridge is a waste on its own circuit.

you better go back and look in your code book 210.52 the refridge should be on it's own 15amp circuit,also when you have a light within shower it needs to be on GFI

Speedy Petey 03-02-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke2043 (Post 103580)
The disposal should also be on its own circuit.By code your appliances should be on there own circuits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke2043 (Post 103580)
if you have a recess light over bath or shower this needs to be GFCI protected.

Duke, please be careful when ginvg advice such as this.
BOTH these quotes are NOT true, as has been pointed out already. If things like this are code in your area please state this.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.