Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #1

Share |

i want to do it myself not pay someone...

Hello everyone! I am in the process of closing on my first home in mid january and i have been planning already. I am looking to install 6 recessed lights in my living room and possibly at the max 8 in the kitchen. I have a ranch with a attic to work with =)

Now, my living room doesnt have any lights in the ceiling or anything just wall outlets so a dimmer switch is needed and also wiring for my high hats.

My kitchen has a light over the sink and also a chandaler over the table.

i am looking for some advice on wiring these bad boys. my main panel is 100amp.

i am looking to get 4 inch kits. is there a good tutorial or video on this? because in my situation i would need to put a dimmer switch in both rooms. and also wire new wires i dont think i can tap into another circuit. i also would want my lights to dim when i have my microwave on. thanks

fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #2

Here's a tip.

Next time, don't say "I don't want to pay someone".

The professionals who help people here earn a living doing electrical work. We like to help people but you gotta be a little more sensitive.

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian View Post
i also would want my lights to dim when i have my microwave on. thanks

That's a new one....

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #4

Heres another (important) tip, pull a permit please. So you can get it inspected.

Sounds like you will need to run new wire.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Fabian, have you done ANY electrical work at all? This is a big task for someone with absolutely no experience.
If you need a step-by-step tutorial I think you need to get some experience under your belt first.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
elect, contractor

buy lots of reputable books and videos and start learning, perhaps a couple basic electricity courses. perhaps home depot's 20 minute wire the world course.

do yourself and your family a favour and take out the proper permits and get the inspections if you plan on doing this with little experience especially, as their and your safety will depend on it, even if it being the law does not matter.

I am not trying to be a smart ass or overly sinnicle here, but in this instince what is described as the scope of work is a fair amount and with little to no experience one can easily make a big mess not just in the wiring but of the house itself which in the end could end up costing more to fix.

# 1 peice of advice other than above, when adding new wiring, devices ,lights, etc. it is not wise to tie into existing circuits, as most of the origional circuitry in your home will be close to or at the maximum limits of allowable devices or loads on a circuit (if not already over), run new circuits straight from the panel and load them apropriatly. This is where as a service electrician I get calls to find out why breakers are tripping, or lights go dimm,or flicker, why things stop working and many other scenarios, and it starts when someone adds and adds to exsisting circuits.
ACB Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #7

any pot lights that are installed into an atic with insulation will need special pot light metal inclosures. it says rated for insulation on the box.

make sure you reduce the cost of the house because you have to pay professional to do the wiring, then pull a permit and do it yourself. homedepott wiring 1-2-3 book is pretty good for basic stuff.

just run all new wire from your panel to your new fixtures. don't try to "tap into" anything. you'll be cutting holes in your walls (hopefully behind the baseboards only!) so be prepared to patch with drywall and paint. luckly, its a new house so you'll be planning on painting every room anyway.

Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote