Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #1

Share |

I want canned lights

Remodeling the kitchen and I want do a couple of things. Currently I have a pendant light over the table, and a "cloud" like floresant light fixture in the main kitchen and two can lights over the bar. I want to change the pendant light to 2 smaller pendant lights and move them over about 12 inches, I want to replace the floresent light with four canned lights, and I want to add another canned light to the 2 existing canned lights over the bar about 24 inches to the left. What do I do and how do I do it? Can the existing circuity or whatever support the additions? What do I do and how do I do it? Not scared to take on the task - definitely don't want to pay the 3 k estimate the electrician threw at me - I thnk he is trying to make as much money off of me as humanly possible! All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

candypw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Master Electrician

I want canned lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by candypw View Post
Remodeling the kitchen and I want do a couple of things. Currently I have a pendant light over the table, and a "cloud" like floresant light fixture in the main kitchen and two can lights over the bar. I want to change the pendant light to 2 smaller pendant lights and move them over about 12 inches, I want to replace the floresent light with four canned lights, and I want to add another canned light to the 2 existing canned lights over the bar about 24 inches to the left. What do I do and how do I do it? Can the existing circuity or whatever support the additions? What do I do and how do I do it? Not scared to take on the task - definitely don't want to pay the 3 k estimate the electrician threw at me - I thnk he is trying to make as much money off of me as humanly possible! All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!
depends on wether there's an attic or not above your kitchen. If there's no attic then your in for a ton of work and alot of ceiling repair(depending on how the joists lay in the ceiling). As for the circuitry it's hard to tell unless you know what else is fed off the breaker/breakers that control the lights you want to work on. If new wires need to be added plus the cost of the lights and ceiling repair i would still say that the sparky's quote was high but it's far from a cheap job. It's hard to tell you how to just "do" all that without more info....hard to tell you how to do it even with the info. That's a fairly intensive remodel on the kitchen lighting.

andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
Union Electrician

I want canned lights

Nobody minds plumbers charging 250 to ring the doorbell, but electricians are insane!

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #4

I want canned lights

Hey goose I can do it in the dark and feel for the flush handle. But when I can't there's a problem. Just kidding don't want to pay anybody anything.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote