I Think I'm Overloaded - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

I think I'm overloaded

hi, I did my basement 3 yrs ago and installed 18 (50watt) halogen recessed lights and alight fixture over the pooltable with 4 50watt halogens also that is 22 halogens x 50watt= 1100watts right. i walked by the panel box other day and i heard a humming sound. winds up its the breaker(15amp)for the lights. now i do not want to break the cieling again or even remember the wiring that was done on this project. you think if i replace the watts on lights to a 35watt that would be around the safe range? i do not want to place a 20 amp breaker cause it will get to hot but how much can u put on a 15amp breaker?

Advertisement

Last edited by gman710; 06-18-2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: mis-speled words
gman710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I think I'm overloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman710 View Post
but how much can u put on a 15amp breaker?
On a good one that has good connections to the panel you can certainly put 1100 w/120 v = 9.2 A.

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I think I'm overloaded

Quote:
hi, I did my basement 3 yrs ago and installed 18 (50watt) halogen recessed lights and alight fixture over the pooltable with 4 50watt halogens also that is 22 halogens x 50watt= 1100watts right. i walked by the panel box other day and i heard a humming sound. winds up its the breaker(15amp)for the lights. now i do not want to break the cieling again or even remember the wiring that was done on this project. you think if i replace the watts on lights to a 35watt that would be around the safe range? i do not want to place a 20 amp breaker cause it will get to hot but how much can u put on a 15amp breaker?
Where are you located ?

1100 watts is not a problem on a 15a breaker - its good to 1800w
If you used 14g wire you can't install a 20a breaker

Is there anything else on the circuit ?

Does it only hum when you turn these lights on ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #4

I think I'm overloaded

Quote:
hi, I did my basement 3 yrs ago and installed 18 (50watt) halogen recessed lights and alight fixture over the pooltable with 4 50watt halogens also that is 22 halogens x 50watt= 1100watts right. i walked by the panel box other day and i heard a humming sound. winds up its the breaker(15amp)for the lights.
You might want to replace the circuit breaker with a new 15 amp (same size as old) circuit breaker. Your old one could be going bad.

Quote:
now i do not want to break the ceiling again or even remember the wiring that was done on this project. you think if i replace the watts on lights to a 35watt that would be around the safe range? i do not want to place a 20 amp breaker cause it will get to hot but how much can u put on a 15amp breaker?
If I'm doing my math right, a 15 amp circuit breaker should handle 1800 watts based on 120 volts * 15 amps.
HappyCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

I think I'm overloaded

1100 watts is 9.2 amps so that shouldn't be a problem on a 15 amp circuit. Is anything else on that lighting circuit? Did the breaker feel warm? The first and easiest thing to do is get a new breaker.
How about just doing a reset and see what happens. How long after the lights are turned on before the buzzing shows up?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 268

I think I'm overloaded

A 15a is pleanty if that's the only thing on it. How do you know it's the light breaker? Was the sound constant? Or just when you turned on the lights? I agree with starting with a new breaker, but check the bus bar for any pitting too, make sure it wasn't arc-welding you heard.
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

I think I'm overloaded

i ran into a situation like this not that long ago with a main. Like walden says definately check the bus when you remove the breaker. A hum usually means a arcing connention in the panel. In the specific case i delt with the fins on the beaker were spread too far apart due to age and it had arced enough to almost melt right through the bus before it stopped.

check it now before it gets too bad or else you may find yourself doing a panel change.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 268

I think I'm overloaded

Yup! I've got a breaker spot I can't use because of it. Some day I'll get to a full panel replace, for now a sub was enough to expand and not use the bad breaker spot.
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 PM   #9

I think I'm overloaded

Quote:

similar problem for me. wired 8 recessed lights at 15watts (cfl) each all worked fine. then next section was 6 recessed lights at 15 watts (cfl) each all worked fine. last i did 26 recessed lights at 15 watts (cfl) each and i didn't even put the bulbs in, but when i flipped the light switch on the breaker tripped and will not let me reset it. my thought is i blew the breaker and maybe one of my connections shorted out. my total watts if i puts the bulbs in would be 40 lights X 15 watts = 600 watts. any thougths???
jpelizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,862

I think I'm overloaded

If it trips as soon as you try and turn the breaker on you have a dead short. You need to find where the hot wire is touching something it should not.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

I think I'm overloaded

To add to what Jim said, a circuit needs to be calculated at the max ratings of the lights and not with the lamps you install.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #12

I think I'm overloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
To add to what Jim said, a circuit needs to be calculated at the max ratings of the lights and not with the lamps you install.
so are you saying i should add another circuit with 15amp? i just finished checking all the connections and their may have been an issue with one of them. the circuit still won't reset so i'm assuming that the circuit blew as well. i'm going to put a new 15amp breaker in. i was thinking of breaking up the circuit so their would be less lights on it and it sounds like that may be a good idea, thanks for the info.

how would be the best way to break it up.

circuit panel here

8 lights (two switches to turn it on) (room size 12X14)

26 lights (two switches to turn it on) (room size 45X14)

6 lights (one switch to turn it on.) (room size 12X16)
jpelizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 512

I think I'm overloaded

The original thread is very old, and your question is not very similar to the one in the original thread. I'd recommend starting a new thread under the same circumstances next time.

Advertisement

operagost is offline   Reply With Quote