Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
JOATMON

Share |

I passed Rough-In

On Monday (yesterday) I scheduled my electrical rough-in inspection for today....but yesterday afternoon I get the "We need you now" phone call....so by the time I got home...I didn't have time to finish the 2-3 items I had to do before rough-in....

So this morning I cancelled....

I guess my inspector didn't get the memo.....my wife calls me at noon to say he is there...oh well...let him look...I know he will write it up...and I'll just reschedule....

He passed it. Mentioned a few things...need a staple here and there....asked about missing lights...she told him there were going to be in a soffett....he said "no problem"....etc.

My wife commented that she wishes she had a nickle for every time he said "He does clean work"....

Anyway....he signed off....

I've known this inspector for about 5 years now....he knows that if he tells me to correct something....I'll do it....he doesn't let me slide on things that are wrong...but is very easy on the simple things.

I do take pics of the corrections so if there is any question, I can show the pics.

I'm stoked....I'm getting closer.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (01-29-2013), jbfan (01-29-2013), TheEplumber (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #2

I passed Rough-In

Post pics oc what you thought was wrong and going to fail for

eastcoastsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #3

I passed Rough-In

Congratulations !!
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

I passed Rough-In

Congratulations
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #5

I passed Rough-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
On Monday (yesterday) I scheduled my electrical rough-in inspection for today....but yesterday afternoon I get the "We need you now" phone call....so by the time I got home...I didn't have time to finish the 2-3 items I had to do before rough-in....

So this morning I cancelled....

I guess my inspector didn't get the memo.....my wife calls me at noon to say he is there...oh well...let him look...I know he will write it up...and I'll just reschedule....

He passed it. Mentioned a few things...need a staple here and there....asked about missing lights...she told him there were going to be in a soffett....he said "no problem"....etc.

My wife commented that she wishes she had a nickle for every time he said "He does clean work"....

Anyway....he signed off....

I've known this inspector for about 5 years now....he knows that if he tells me to correct something....I'll do it....he doesn't let me slide on things that are wrong...but is very easy on the simple things.

I do take pics of the corrections so if there is any question, I can show the pics.

I'm stoked....I'm getting closer.....
It''s amazing how easy it is to deal with most inspectors if you follow the path that you have. Most of them really do want to help and to educate DIYs as to the right way to do things. Of course it helps to be in a small town or county where you can get to know each other. Well done!
philS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
JOATMON

I passed Rough-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by philS View Post
It''s amazing how easy it is to deal with most inspectors if you follow the path that you have. Most of them really do want to help and to educate DIYs as to the right way to do things. Of course it helps to be in a small town or county where you can get to know each other. Well done!
Far from a small town.....think....Los Angeles........contrary to popular perception, while LA may be big....people do get along pretty good.....a surprising amount of mutual respect.....you can't believe everything you see on the news....

But your right....treat the inspectors as a friend vs adversary, and it goes a lot easier.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
JOATMON

I passed Rough-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastsparky View Post
Post pics oc what you thought was wrong and going to fail for
I had a couple of spots like this....needed to put in a couple more staples....

I 'thought' this might be an issue.....

My load center is on the other side....as I understand it, your not supposed to enter a load center from the rear....but in my case, I don't really have an option....

Front view....(old pic BTW)

Old 01-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #8
Master Electrician

I passed Rough-In

I'm very surprised you passed with that many obvious violations. You have fairly lenient inspectors.

Mark
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
JOATMON

I passed Rough-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by busman View Post
I'm very surprised you passed with that many obvious violations. You have fairly lenient inspectors.

Mark
Besides the missing staples, what else do you see? I know the entry through the back of the load center is something that wouldn't fly out east...but is commonly done here....

Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Licensed electrician

I passed Rough-In

3M stackers would have been a better option instead of all those cables spread out with numerous staples.

Did the inspector say anything about derating the conductors leaving the bottom of the panel?

What sort of finish is going on the outside of the wall? I would have put a meter base like an MM30 under the panel.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
JOATMON

I passed Rough-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
3M stackers would have been a better option instead of all those cables spread out with numerous staples.

Did the inspector say anything about derating the conductors leaving the bottom of the panel?

What sort of finish is going on the outside of the wall? I would have put a meter base like an MM30 under the panel.
I've looked for stackers at HD but didn't see them.....

Nope....nothing about derating...I'm assuming you mean the NM going through the back of the load center?

Because the wall the meter is on is a shear wall (and the reason I couldn't recess the panel, I'm going to 'enclose' the load center and down pipe in a soffit.....(project for this weekend)

Old 01-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
Master Electrician

I passed Rough-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Besides the missing staples, what else do you see? I know the entry through the back of the load center is something that wouldn't fly out east...but is commonly done here....
Cables closer than 1-1/4" to the edge of a framing member.

Derating for more than 3 current-carrying conductors in a raceway.

Open knockout in the back of the loadcenter.

Conduit not secured to the loadcenter. It looks like the conduit is cinched down on the OSB with a bushing.

I sure wouldn't have passed that.

Mark

BTW, there is no code rule prohibiting entering a loadcenter from the back.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
JOATMON

I passed Rough-In

Before I respond....please understand that I'm not defending myself or am upset....just trying to learn....

Cables closer than 1-1/4" to the edge of a framing member. Are we talking about the NM cables that are stapled? In the cases of holes that are too close to the edge, I put nail block....and when I doubt...I use nail block...

Derating for more than 3 current-carrying conductors in a raceway. Are you calling the close nipple/knockout in the rear of the load center a raceway?

Open knockout in the back of the loadcenter. What are my options? If it's not open, how do I get wires in?

Conduit not secured to the loadcenter. It looks like the conduit is cinched down on the OSB with a bushing. It's secured....there is a nut on there....unless I'm not seeing what your talking about.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
Master Electrician

I passed Rough-In

Cables closer than 1-1/4" to the edge of a framing member. Are we talking about the NM cables that are stapled? In the cases of holes that are too close to the edge, I put nail block....and when I doubt...I use nail block...

Cables cannot be stapled closer than 1-1/4" to the edge of a framing member when run parallel to the member. If a drywall screw misses the stud, it should not hit the cable. If it's going thru a member, it can be closer with a nail-plate installed.

Derating for more than 3 current-carrying conductors in a raceway. Are you calling the close nipple/knockout in the rear of the load center a raceway?

I'm referring to the conduit leaving the bottom of the loadcenter. It appears to have about 10-15 conductors in it. Derating will render those wires overloaded.

Open knockout in the back of the loadcenter. What are my options? If it's not open, how do I get wires in?

I see two knockouts in use in the back. There is a third one knocked out that just has OSB showing thru it.

Conduit not secured to the loadcenter. It looks like the conduit is cinched down on the OSB with a bushing. It's secured....there is a nut on there....unless I'm not seeing what your talking about.

I can see OSB around the outside of the bushing, so the conduit is not attached to the loadcenter enclosure.

Regards,

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to busman For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
JOATMON

I passed Rough-In

Cables cannot be stapled closer than 1-1/4" to the edge of a framing member when run parallel to the member. If a drywall screw misses the stud, it should not hit the cable. If it's going thru a member, it can be closer with a nail-plate installed.

I will correct that....

I'm referring to the conduit leaving the bottom of the loadcenter. It appears to have about 10-15 conductors in it. Derating will render those wires overloaded.

If I'm not exceeding the fill for the conduit, why do I need to derate? I do conduit at my real job all the time...I've never had to derate if I don't exceed the fill.

I see two knockouts in use in the back. There is a third one knocked out that just has OSB showing thru it.

Oh....ok...I see what your talking about now. When I was doing the knockouts, I pulled that one before I realized there was a stud behind it. Do I just put a plate over it? Do I have to cover it if the load center is going to be enclosed in a soffit?

I can see OSB around the outside of the bushing, so the conduit is not attached to the loadcenter enclosure.

Ok, I see what your talking about now....damned knockout came off when I was trying to get the smaller one out. It's on my list of tasks....now that I know I don't have to make any major changes....one of my weekend tasks is to pull all the wires off the breakers....cut to final length...attach heat shrink wire labels (including matching labels on the neutrals) and re-dress all the wires so it looks nice and neat....that is when I'll put a washer or larger close nipple in.

Mark....I appreciate your input....thanks