Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #1

Share |
Question

I Need Help with wiring

Here is my situation

I am replacing a vent fan and light in one of my bathrooms. The bathroom was an addition to the main house back in 1973. In the bathroom I have two switches one for the fan and the ceiling light, and the other switch is for the lights around the medicine cabinet I also have a GFI coming off the switches this is my only plug in outlet in the bathroom.

I hope I can make this make sense. Both switches had their leads going into the ceiling light box this is (there are 2, 14X2 wires) . The fan was also wired into the ceiling light box. In addition coming out of the ceiling light box was a lead to other outlets in the bedroom 14X2 wire (I guess it is the power source for the other receptacles in the bedroom). The thing that is throwing me for a loop is the last wire going to the Ceiling light box is a 14X3 wire. I can not understand what this is for and what do I do the with read lead. The only I can think of is that this 14X3 wire is the hot wire coming from the panel and this is the beginning of the circut for the bathroom and the bedroom.

So Now that I am replacing the fan and the ceiling light with a recessed light I thought I would wire this mess a little better. I thought I wouold use a junction box which is completely accessible from the attic to house the majority of the wires so the recessed light does not house all the crazy connections.

My questions are as follows.

1. What is the red lead in the 14X3 wire for and when I wire it up what does it get connected to?

2.) How to go about the best way to utilized the junction box to keep sense of the leads?

Hope this makes sense and I need some help.

Thanks

noviceshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

I Need Help with wiring

The red may be a separately switched hot for the fan from the light.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #3

I Need Help with wiring

I am not sure I understand what that means. Could you explain further?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

I Need Help with wiring

Sometimes people desire to use only the fan or light without both being on at the same time. This requires two switched hots from the switch. Fan could be black while the light could be on the red.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #5

I Need Help with wiring

I pulled the switch that controls the fan and the ceiling light (these are two separate units not one in the same unit) and the switch has a black lead on the black pole and the red lead on the same side as the black but on the bottom pole. Is this what you mean about using the red lead as a secoln hot?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

I Need Help with wiring

You you saying that there is a black on two switches and that a black or a red are on the other terminal of the switch? A pic might clear this up.