Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #1

Share |

I Need Help !!!

I have a 15 amp breaker with 12/2 wire going to a single outdoor receptacle. What I'm wanting to know
if I was to upgrade that breaker to 30 amps and also the wire . Could I go from the receptical to a 2 space box with 2 15 amp breakers so I can run 2 outlets and a flourescent light of each 15 amp Breaker ???

Nolan Posey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

I Need Help !!!

You can not feed the receptacle with a 30 amp breaker, but you can feed the panel first, then the receptale with a 15 or 20 amp breaker.

You can change the breaker to 20 amp and add the receptalce and light now.

Last edited by jbfan; 10-15-2009 at 04:45 PM.
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #3

I Need Help !!!

Quote:
if I was to upgrade that breaker to 30 amps and also the wire . Could I go from the receptical to a 2 space box with 2 15 amp breakers so I can run 2 outlets and a flourescent light of each 15 amp Breaker ???
Try to rephrase your question. Tell us what you want to accomplish and we will tell you how to do it....maybe
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #4

I Need Help !!!

Yeah, we really need to know what you are trying to do

12-2 wire is rated for a 20a breaker
BUT - you MUST make sure that anything & every other wire on that circuit is ALSO 12-2 & is rated for 20a

Outside outlet MUST be a GFCI outlet, also required to have an in-use wet cover

If you want (2) circuits run another 12-2 for a 20a circuit or 14-2 for a 15a circuit
You can buy an outdoor quad box to replace the existing box

What are you going to power that you need (2) circuits ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #5

I Need Help !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
Try to rephrase your question. Tell us what you want to accomplish and we will tell you how to do it....maybe

I'm building an outdoor kitchen , and would like 2 outlets on each side of the room . On the one side will be a 14 cubic ft Fridge that will be in constant use and maybe a small appliance on ocassion. On side two maybe a stereo & small fan ? and a light switch going to 2 4ft 2 bulb Flourescent lights tied together to light the area at night , Thanks ,Nolan
Old 10-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #6

I Need Help !!!

I.m building an outdoor kitchen and would like 2 outlets on each side of the room . one side will be in constant use a 14 cubic ft Fridge and on ocassion a small appliance . On side two maybe a stereo and small fan also 2- 4 ft flourescnet 2 bulb lights to light the area , Thanks ,Nolan
Old 10-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #7

I Need Help !!!

I'm building an outdoor kitchen , and would like 2 outlets on each side of the room . On the one side will be a 14 cubic ft Fridge that will be in constant use and maybe a small appliance on ocassion. On side two maybe a stereo & small fan ? and a light switch going to 2 4ft 2 bulb Flourescent lights tied together to light the area at night , Thanks ,Nolan
Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

I Need Help !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan Posey View Post
Nolan .,

The rules will apply to the outdoor kitchen is the same as indoor kitchen so you will need two circuits that are 20 amp each and mantory GFCI protection no expections at all. { 12-2 cables unless you run them in conduit with weatherproof box }

The outdoor lights it will depending if hard wired { may not need GFCI } or cord/plug attachment that mantory GFCI protection.

If more quesiton just holler one of us will help ya in right way.

Merci.
Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote