Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #1

Share |

I need GFCI, right

Hello, good afternoon from New Jersey;

In my laundry room (basement), I have two duplex receptacles mounted in a 4" square box for the washer and gas dryer. All of the sockets are on the same 20A dedicated line.

I believe that I need to install GFCI protection, since the receptacles are less than 1.8m (6ft) from the sink, and the sink is next to the washer.

I read an exception in the 2005 code that seems to indicate that if these appliances are both plugged into a duplex receptacle, and they are not easily moved, that I don't need GFCI if the receptacle is more than 1.8m from the sink.

I am going to install the GFCI, but I am curious as to whether or not I would not need it if I were to do the following:

1) Move the receptacle so that it is more than 1.8m from the sink.
2) Remove one duplex, so that there is only one, and both sockets are occupied by the washer and dryer.

From what I read in the code, the reasoning being that if both sockets of the duplex are normally occupied by the appliances, which are not easily moved, there is little chance that anyone would come in contact with the receptacle, so no GFCI is required (providing that there is the 1.8m minimum distance from the sink).

I had to install two duplex because both plugs are right angle facing down, and there was no way one could be plugged in above the other.
When Sears first installed the washer, they used a cheater pigtail adapter, just to gain the height of one plug over the other so they would fit.
This idiot never even connected the pigtail, which I would not have allowed in the first place, so the machine was ungrounded until I came along and saw what was going on.

So, while I am going to install a GFCI so that both duplexes are protected, I am curious as to whether I am interpreting the code properly.

Another question: Does anyone make a GFCI receptacle that has the sockets with the ground hold facing to the side, for horizontal mounting, so that two plugs as described above would plug in side by side, cable exiting to the right or down?
Thanks

Last edited by KE2KB; 01-16-2009 at 02:39 PM.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

I need GFCI, right

Yes, under the 2005 Code you can use a duplex for two appliances and it doesn't need GFCI protection, 6 feet from the sink or otherwise.

I used to see horizontal GFCIs all the time in older installs, but they are hard to come by and I'm not sure if anyone still makes them. If they do, they would need to be special order.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #3

I need GFCI, right

2008 code requires GFCI in the laundry, regardless, correct?

I'll just have to keep the double duplex. I'm thinking I am better off with two separate GFCI's so that if the washer trips one, the dryer won't stop, or visa/versa.
Considering what I have read about washers tending to cause GFCI's to trip, I'm hoping mine won't. I'll deal with that if and when I come to it<g>

BTW, what do you think about buying (new) GFCI's on Ebay?
I see some really great prices for Leviton and Pass & Seymour.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Tool Geek

I need GFCI, right

Correct, but then most places here have a close by sink

As far as the plug goes, I use a variable angle plug from Bryant that can be set so the the cable exits the box straight up or down, or 90 deg right or left, or every 30 deg.
Bryant 8295T.pdf (application/pdf Object)

I would definitely use two GFCI's because large motor appliances tend to have higher leakage currents.

Attached Thumbnails
I need GFCI, right-bryantangleplug.jpg  

Last edited by PaliBob; 01-16-2009 at 06:52 PM.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

I need GFCI, right

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
2008 code requires GFCI in the laundry, regardless, correct?
Only where within 6 feet of a sink. But.... New Jersey is not on the 2008 NEC yet, I don't believe.

Quote:
I'll just have to keep the double duplex. I'm thinking I am better off with two separate GFCI's so that if the washer trips one, the dryer won't stop, or visa/versa.
Considering what I have read about washers tending to cause GFCI's to trip, I'm hoping mine won't. I'll deal with that if and when I come to it<g>

BTW, what do you think about buying (new) GFCI's on Ebay?
I see some really great prices for Leviton and Pass & Seymour.
If they are authentic, I don't see why not, but won't the shipping costs balance out anyway?
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #6

I need GFCI, right

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
Correct, but then most places here have a close by sink

As far as the plug goes, I use a variable angle plug from Bryant that can be set so the the cable exits the box straight up or down, or 90 deg right or left, or every 30 deg.
Bryant 8295T.pdf (application/pdf Object)

I would definitely use two GFCI's because large motor appliances tend to have higher leakage currents.

Nice plugs, but I am sure very expensive. The double duplex GFCI's will be much less expensive I think. Plus, I agree with you on using two GFCI's here.

Last edited by KE2KB; 01-16-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #7

I need GFCI, right

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Only where within 6 feet of a sink. But.... New Jersey is not on the 2008 NEC yet, I don't believe.

If they are authentic, I don't see why not, but won't the shipping costs balance out anyway?
Well, this one guy is selling a 20pk of Leviton 8599-I for $39.95.
I looked up that part number on Leviton, and they refer to the 7599 series, so I am thinking that these are an obsolete model. They don't have the indicator LED.

On another auction, I see a box of 10 Pass & Seymour model 2095-I for $39.00.
I don't know what the winning bidder will end up paying, but considering that I paid $13 for one Leviton I purchased a couple months ago, I think there are good deals on Ebay. These are all being advertized as NEW.
I'm currently only watching the auctions; I haven't placed any bids yet.