DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

I hope this is the right spot.

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ffdanf 
#1 ·
Air compressor with no power line or info on how to install it!!!
I'm a newbie to say the least...BUT, I have bought an air compressor from Menards. It is a Coleman powermate. Model #SLA7006056. The Co. had a wire in the store with the 240 V plug. However, the owners manual doesn't say anything on how to connect the wire to the compressor. Further more...THERE'S NO WAY TO CONNECT THE COMPRESSOR TO ANY POWER WITHOUT HAVING THE CORD IN USE. I think I just bought a decoration type air compressor. Can anyone please give me some info on how to connect the power wire.:furious: :furious: By the way...HI to EVERYONE.
Last edited by ffdanf : Today at 02:08 PM.

#7 ·
Are you sure? According to their website http://www.powermate.com/
, "Powermate" is the manufacturer for many compressors other than Coleman. From their site- "Powermate has developed a strong reputation for quality manufacturing under trusted brand names such as Powermate, Coleman Powermate, Endura, Black Max, Industrial Air, Magna Force, ProForce, Progen, Sanborn and private label brands such as Durabuilt, Marshalltown, Husky, and Kobalt".

That would certainly put HomeDepot "Husky" and Lowes "Kobalt" in the same situation as well.

#3 ·
Actually, this is not all that hard to solve. A few questions first.

Is the compressor 240 volt? (220, 230, 240, it's all the same). You'll find this info on the motor nameplate. We'll also need to know the amps. (Might be listed as FLA; full load amps).

Is there a cord or some type of wire coming out of the motor, and if so, where does it go? If it goes to a small box (about 3"x3"x3" or so) that's piped into the tank, then that's the pressure switch. In this case, the power goes into this box. If it goes to a larger box (about 6"x10"x4" or so), and another wire goes to the pressure switch, then that's the magnetic starter, and the power goes into it, not the pressure switch.

If it is 240 volt, you'll need to get a 240 volt circuit to it. This will involve running a new wire from the electrical panel to the compressor location, and installing a new breaker in the panel.

Rob

#5 ·
Thanks for the help. Joed, I'll look into the perssure switch. I have it into the motor now but it doesn't quite work right. There is a dip in the motor box for a wire to get through (if that makes since) I'll go check out the pressure switch. THANKS. :wallbash:

#9 ·
The two people I spoke with at Menards told me they had spoke with someone at the business that had told them of a takeover. There is also a new phone number pasted to the bag that contains the owners manual. Hopefully everything will be OK.:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.