Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #1

Share |

I dont see how that could be

Hey guys!! How is everyone? I worked a little ot today with a mechanic that I've never had the pleasure of working with. He seemed like he was very knowledgeable until he made a statement that "a gfci wasn't considered a grounded recept". Now this dosent make since to me, so I asked him to explain this, but he couldn't. He just kept saying "trust me on this one". Can anyone explain this if you have any idea what he is talking about, but if you can't, can you at least confirm whether he is right or wrong? Thank you!

Sunny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny B. View Post
Hey guys!! How is everyone? I worked a little ot today with a mechanic that I've never had the pleasure of working with. He seemed like he was very knowledgeable until he made a statement that "a gfci wasn't considered a grounded recept". Now this dosent make since to me, so I asked him to explain this, but he couldn't. He just kept saying "trust me on this one". Can anyone explain this if you have any idea what he is talking about, but if you can't, can you at least confirm whether he is right or wrong? Thank you!
He's potentially right, I guess, in that you are permitted to use a GFCI recept to provide a 3-prong outlet in an ungrounded system in very specific circumstances, but you must clearly mark the recept "as ungrounded," along with any subsequent outlets attached to the load terminals of the GFCI.

That being said, if you install a GFCI recept in a properly-grounded system, it is indeed a grounded recept.

I guess I'd give him partial credit for that, but I wouldn't let him near my house.

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

A GFCI receptacle can be grounded if the ground terminal is connected to a proper ground. What he might be referring to is that a GFCI receptacle can be installed on a ungrounded circuit and still be code compliant (it must be labeled as ungrounded).
Old 10-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles
A GFCI receptacle can be grounded if the ground terminal is connected to a proper ground. What he might be referring to is that a GFCI receptacle can be installed on a ungrounded circuit and still be code compliant (it must be labeled as ungrounded).
Sorry if im being a pest but can you explain a "ungrounded circuit"? Are you referring to a circuit that dosnt have a proper ground?
Old 10-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Electrician

A GFCI receptacle is like most any other receptacle except that it provides GFCI protection. Though it should be, it doesn’t necessarily have to be grounded, as in the case of replacing an ungrounded receptacle. It’s only grounded if an equipment grounding conductor is attached, and is complete back to the service panel.

GFCI’s don’t need a ground wire to operate. They operate on the principle of sensing the current flow through the ‘hot’ versus the ‘neutral’. If power comes into the GFI on the hot, the same amount should be going back through it on the neutral, otherwise it “thinks” the power is going somewhere it’s not suppose to. An imbalance of 4-6 mA will cause the GFI to trip.

Don’t trust anyone that says “trust me one this one”, but can’t explain it.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Electrician

Ungrounded circuit generally refers to a circuit consisting of a hot, neutral and no EGC. Like a 2-wire circuit you find in older houses.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515
A GFCI receptacle is like most any other receptacle except that it provides GFCI protection. Though it should be, it doesn’t necessarily have to be grounded, as in the case of replacing an ungrounded receptacle. It’s only grounded if an equipment grounding conductor is attached, and is complete back to the service panel.

GFCI’s don’t need a ground wire to operate. They operate on the principle of sensing the current flow through the ‘hot’ versus the ‘neutral’. If power comes into the GFI on the hot, the same amount should be going back through it on the neutral, otherwise it “thinks” the power is going somewhere it’s not suppose to. An imbalance of 4-6 mA will cause the GFI to trip.

Don’t trust anyone that says “trust me one this one”, but can’t explain it.
I got it clear as day now. Thanks guys!
Old 10-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Ungrounded circuit generally refers to a circuit consisting of a hot, neutral and no EGC. Like a 2-wire circuit you find in older houses.
This is why I am unfamiliar with this. Not familiar with resi work. Therefore I haven't come across any circuits without a EGC unless it's in conduit
Old 10-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny B.

This is why I am unfamiliar with this. Not familiar with resi work. Therefore I haven't come across any circuits without a EGC unless it's in conduit
Or BX cable (correction)
Old 10-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Electrician

I know what you're saying, and which of course is your EGC, when it's metal and complete to the panel.

(BX isn't used anymore...replaced with AC or MC)

Old 10-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #11

Quote:
I know what you're saying, and which of course is your EGC, when it's metal and complete to the panel.

(BX isn't used anymore...replaced with AC or MC)
"Laughing" we have a roll of 10/3 on the job that I'm working on now. We are using it, and it's not my job to say what's right and wrong. My boss tells me to do something and I get it done, simple as that. Besides, he's a whole lot more experienced than me, so I'm sure he is 100% aware of the change.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #12

He is only half right !
A GFCI will work without a ground.
But that doesnt mean all GFCIs are ungrounded.
Some are some arnt.
So its a definate maybe !
dmxtothemax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
"Laughing" we have a roll of 10/3 on the job that I'm working on now. We are using it, and it's not my job to say what's right and wrong. My boss tells me to do something and I get it done, simple as that. Besides, he's a whole lot more experienced than me, so I'm sure he is 100% aware of the change.
10/3 BX? Would that be black, white, and red with no EGC? You sure it's actual BX, not MC?
mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton

10/3 BX? Would that be black, white, and red with no EGC? You sure it's actual BX, not MC?
MC is what I'm most familiar with. MC has a EGC, BX dosent. Plus the BX is much harder on my rotor split "laughing"
Old 10-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #15

Quote:
MC is what I'm most familiar with. MC has a EGC, BX dosent. Plus the BX is much harder on my rotor split "laughing"
That old "crunchy" cable will tear your cutting wheel to pieces after awhile.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote