"hurricane" Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

"hurricane" panel

I hope that someone can direct me to a few good resources for this...I would like jump a new sub panel off my existing 200 amp panel,with a manual disconnect between them. I then want to rewire my existing house ceiling fans and a couple of wall outlets into this new sub panel. The new sub will also need a receptical that will take a 220 plug from a genertator so that these newly rewired circuits will, after a manual diconnect, be powered by the generator. hope someone has some thoughts.

Advertisement

easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
electric & plumbing contr

"hurricane" panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider
I hope that someone can direct me to a few good resources for this...I would like jump a new sub panel off my existing 200 amp panel,with a manual disconnect between them. I then want to rewire my existing house ceiling fans and a couple of wall outlets into this new sub panel. The new sub will also need a receptical that will take a 220 plug from a genertator so that these newly rewired circuits will, after a manual diconnect, be powered by the generator. hope someone has some thoughts.
Sounds like what you need is a transfer switch. Lowe's carries one that ought meet your needs. Gentran makes a six circuit model that will do what you are suggesting. You really won't need a disconnect between the two, as the transfer switch wil perform the function of disconnecting the power froom the main panel bus and switching it over to you generator. Most of these come with a plug for the gen, but you will need to make up a cord to connect the two.

If you aren't absolutely sure of the principles involved in this project, please make sure you do your homework thoroughly or hire a pro because this is one of the more dangerous DIY projects. Incorrectly wiring a generator into a system can result in injury to utility crews among other things.

Have a look at the transfer switches at your local big box or electrical supply house, select the one that meets your needs, then check back here with some more details about your job and get some specifics on how to hook it up correctly and safely.

Advertisement

Atricaudatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

"hurricane" panel

A Gentran, Reliance or similar transfer panel is MUCH simpler than what you propose for not a lot more money.

See here:
http://www.gen-tran.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=2
Old 08-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #4

"hurricane" panel

Thanks guys; I'm heading for a big box store and will REALLY do my homework before attempting...
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote