Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #1

Share |

Hunter Fan Capacitor

We have a great remote control Hunter fan in our master bedroom. Recently the unit has given us problems, it does not run on low speed and runs very slowly on medium and high. I have done some research and think it could be the capacitor. I pulled the lower housing off and can see where the capacitor is but it looks as though a new one would need to be soldered. Can I take the housing piece to a shop and have them replace the capacitor? Would this be a job for an electrician or do they have shops that work on ceiling fans? I told a friend and he said to just throw the fan away and get a new one. It was a great fan (when it worked properly). I hate to toss it out it's a $200 fan. I know a capacitor couldn't cost much but I am no electrician. Help?

Last edited by BryanLawlor; 10-14-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: punctuation
BryanLawlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #2

Hunter Fan Capacitor

BL: If you can readily get a new part, there's no reason for dumping the fan; it can't be that expensive. Anyone versed in electrical/electronic servicing could check the capacitor for open and/or replace it. These caps are electrolytic and do deterioate. A new one should be tried. I'd consider doing the replacement in place and saving all the work of taking it down.

oilseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #3

Hunter Fan Capacitor

Check to make sure someone didn't pull on the chain for the fan speed and change it to a lower setting. It has to be on high or the remote won't work correctly. I have one in my bedroom and my kids mess with all the time. I would hate to throw the fan out if this would fix it.
Plumbvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote