DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Hunter Ceiling Fan & Light control #27182

30K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  helpfix 
#1 · (Edited)
the good news for me is that it appears that a lot of people have problems with the wiring schematic for this ceiling fan and light switch. the bad news is nobody seems to have exactly my wiring in order for me to just search for the answer.

the ceiling fan installation was relatively simple. There were four wires (white, black, red and ground). the fan and the lights work when I have the old (rocker plate) switch connected however because I've separated the connections for the light and the fan, the switch will only turn off the lights and does not control the fan itself. the fan is one of the quick connect from Hampton Bay. so, it indicated if using one switch only to control light and fan, connect the white lead from house supply to the W on the quick connect terminal, the live/black lead from house into the L1 terminal and ground to ground ( I didn't do this as I was planning on using the 27182 switch to control fan and light separately.) so...the only difference in this part of the connection is that I connect the live red wire to the L2 terminal. Unfortunately based on this info. I'm not sure which wire actually is for the fan and which is for the light. Now in the fan housing itself I had to separate the black and blue wires and connect each separately.

So, I have the 27182 but not really sure if I can even use it. The existing switch has a ground wire, black wire connected to the top and red wire connected to the bottom. The white wire that was in the conduit with these wires is tied off with all of the other white wires in the switch box (4 switches in all).

I have gone back to the store and they suggested that I connect the black to black, red to red and blue to white (and of course ground wire to green). I tried that but no luck, switch now controls nothing. On the switch wiring schematic, the red is for the light, the blue is for the fan and black is hot. My problem (or at least the one at hand) is that I'm not sure which of the wires at the switch is fan, light and hot?

Definitely need help! Thanks

See less See more
#15 ·
Without more info here is my guess. The white wire in the switch box should be connected to the neutrals in the switch box and to the white wire of the fan at the ceiling. A hot wire at the switch box gets connected to the black wire of the new switch. The black at the switch box connects to the blue of the new switch and to the black of the fan in the ceiling. The red in the switch box connects to the red of the new switch and to the blue of the ceiling fan at the ceiling.

This is my guess as your description has not told me these are the wires available at the switch box.

#16 ·
Hi, sorry in my rather wordy opening remarks I had the colors of the wires but did not reiterate.

The wires in the house switch box are black, red, white and ground.
The wires on the Hunter switch are black, red, blue and green (ground).
When I spoke with the fellow at Home Depot he suggested I try house black to black switchbox, House white to red switchbox, house red to blue switchbox. and that didn't work.

Any ideas?
Thanks

#17 ·
Hi, sorry in my rather wordy opening remarks I had the colors of the wires but did not reiterate.

The wires in the house switch box are black, red, white and ground.
The wires on the Hunter switch are black, red, blue and green (ground).
When I spoke with the fellow at Home Depot he suggested I try house black to black switchbox, House white to red switchbox, house red to blue switchbox. and that didn't work.

Any ideas?
Thanks
See previous post.

#18 ·
Do not buy this dimmer. It is junk. I have two of them that didn't even last two years.

The slider arms are underbuilt, and the plastic button ends are hard plastic. Either the slider arm breaks off or the knob end splits into little pieces.

The detent for the off position on the lamp is too stiff, which makes the arms/knobs break faster. The detent gets harder as time goes on. One of mine cannot even be turned off, even after spraying electronic lubricant in it.

#19 ·
is it possible to install this switch with my exisiting wire configuration

I replaced a chandelier with a ceiling fan. the ceiling electrical box only had a 3 wire cable: 1 ground copper, 1 black, 1 white.

I connected the ceiling fan motor and light wires to the black wire in the ceiling box, the neutral to the neutral, the ground to ground.

in the wall I have the same setup: black, white, copper.

this fan/light control switch has red, black, blue, and green. will this work without adding additional wiring? How do I properly connect. Thanks.

#20 ·
I replaced a chandelier with a ceiling fan. the ceiling electrical box only had a 3 wire cable: 1 ground copper, 1 black, 1 white.

I connected the ceiling fan motor and light wires to the black wire in the ceiling box, the neutral to the neutral, the ground to ground.

in the wall I have the same setup: black, white, copper.

this fan/light control switch has red, black, blue, and green. will this work without adding additional wiring? How do I properly connect. Thanks.
You need 14-3 run to the fan for that switch. Since you only have 14-2, you can use a standard switch as a "master" switch and use the pull chains to turn the fan and light off separately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.