Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hunter Ceiling Fan and Harbor Breeze Light Kit

Hello everyone, I have a Hunter Ceiling Fan that I am trying to fit with a light kit. The model # for the light kit is ELK-WLMW, I would attach a link but I cannot find the product on the Lowes website.

My problem is that I cannot seem to mount the light kit to the fan. After removing the cap from the switch housing I realized that there is no hole in the middle of the switch housing cap for the threaded part of the light fitter to fit through. I also noticed that after looking at several videos my switch housing cap has only two screws that go straight up from the bottom of the cap, all of the other ones in the videos and in the instructions for the kit show a cap with three screws that are accessible through the side of the switch housing cap. Another difference is that the instructions for the light kit mention a white and blue wire from the fan labeled for light, however my fan has a white and a white/black wire labeled for light.

Are Hunter ceiling fans only compatible with Hunter light kits, or am I just missing something here? I appreciate the help and let me know if you guys need any additional information. Thanks!

Rafterman414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

You will need to drill a hole in the cap, and thread it with 3/8"x27 threads per inch for the light kit to fit. Otherwise known as 1/8" NPT.

The proper drill size is letter "Q" for such a project. Closest fractional drill size would be a 21/64"

We have had to do this type of modification for customers who had similar desires to hang a non-branded light kit to a Hunter fan.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
NJMarine (01-06-2013), Rafterman414 (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,338

The SKU number for your light kit is 317147. You should write that down, because Lowes (both people and computer systems) works a lot better with their SKU numbers.

Take a good look at the switch cap and light kit. If you attach the cap, will you be able to get a screw driver on the 2 screws that go up thru the cap ? Some of those "damp rated" kits have a solid plate, so you might have to drill a couple of holes thru the plate to be able to tighten the screws. (I wouldn't do that in a damp location, only a dry one)
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
Rafterman414 (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the info guys, I decided to get a new fan since the old one was nasty and did not match the new decor of the room. I have another thread about the electrical wiring of the new fan though since I am completely lost, lol. Thanks again.

Here is the link to my new thread with the wiring question.
Ceiling Fan Installation Electrical Question
Rafterman414 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan light kit