Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #1

Share |

How would you wire this? Can lights and switch

I'm adding a lighting circuit and some recessed lights to an existing home.

I have a few ideas on how to run the wires for this setup, but I'd like some advice. I'm wondering if there's a logical way to run the lines and if a switch at the end makes the most sense, or if I should just run the service to the switch. I'd like to have a neutral at the switch if possible.

Lamps 1-4 are a must have. Lamp 5 would be a bonus on a separate switch.

Please take a look at the attached diagram and let me know how to do this.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
How would you wire this?  Can lights and switch-house_wiring.jpg  
juengl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Electrician

There is many ways to run this but here are two options.

You could bring a 2 wire up from the service to the first lights and run 3 wire between each light and from the last light to the switch. In the 3 wire you would have a netural a switched hot and a constant hot.

You could also bring a 2 wire from the service to the switch and leave the the switch with two wire and go to each light.

I prefer the second method as it is the the simpliest way and will be less confuesing for you and anyone in the future who may need to work on it.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Electrician

I'd commonly do darren's second option too.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #4

I would run a 14/2 to the switch with a 14/3 goin to another switch on the opposite wall. The second switch would have the switch leg going to the first light. The jump out to the other lights with a 14/2. I dont think youll need the fifth light, the 4 will be plenty. Many many ways to do this, all are correct as long as you dont do stupid switch loops. Keep your feed line and switch leg in the switch box, dont run the feed to the lights. That the old head way, its time to do it the right way.
killadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #5

Exclamation

I can not offer official advice as I am not a licensed electrician. But, I run 3 wires (counting the ground) to a j-box. 2 wires from there to the switch (1 hot and one return. then run the switched, common and ground to each light. Remember all fixtures must be grounded all the way back to the service. If you want a common at the switch for a lighted switch, also run the common to it from the j-box. If you are not familiar with wiring and know wiring code, please get a good book on the subject. Many house fires are caused by improper wiring.
mveach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #6

J-box? No cmon dude no junction boxes. If yer going to do this do it right. You dont need a j-box, you have the open space above or below the walls. Run all wires to a switch, breaker, or light.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
There is many ways to run this but here are two options.

You could bring a 2 wire up from the service to the first lights and run 3 wire between each light and from the last light to the switch. In the 3 wire you would have a netural a switched hot and a constant hot.

You could also bring a 2 wire from the service to the switch and leave the the switch with two wire and go to each light.

I prefer the second method as it is the the simpliest way and will be less confuesing for you and anyone in the future who may need to work on it.
Okay. I guess I'll just run 14/2 to the switch and then to all of the lights. I didn't know if there was a more efficient way to do this, but I'm thinking I'll be better off just keeping it simple.

See my updated sketch for confirmation.

What's the best way to secure the romex in the crawlspace? Should I attach a 1x3 to the bottom of the floor joists and staple the cable beneath the 1x3? Or do I need to bore holes in the joists? I'll be wrestling with insulation if I have to bore through the joists...

Thanks for the suggestions.

BTW - I plan on having this inspected. I just like to know what I'm going to do before I jump into a project.
Attached Thumbnails
How would you wire this?  Can lights and switch-house_wiring_2.jpg  
juengl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #8

In crawlspaces ive put up a running board goin down tha length of.tha crawlspace(however.far your elec is goin) n staples my wires to that. Or u could staple to tha side if joists, or if you wanna b super neat and pro rated work drill holes. Ive had to that before to please the inspector.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphia View Post
J-box? No cmon dude no junction boxes. If yer going to do this do it right. You dont need a j-box, you have the open space above or below the walls. Run all wires to a switch, breaker, or light.
interesting dude.
mveach is offline   Reply With Quote