How Would You Approach This Rewire... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 103

How would you approach this rewire...

Here is a sketch of my bathroom :

The red indicates the location of the switch that controls the fan/light on the ceiling. The blue indicates the location of the switch that controls the green lighting fixture. I would like to move the blue switch over to where the red switch is, so you have both accessible right inside the door.

The bathroom is on the main floor of a split level, so the attic is right above it. Attic does not have any flooring installed, there is rolled insulation, covered by blown insulation, so if I wanted to start running wires up there, I'd have to disturb it. What's the best way to do this, I'd like to not have to repaint the bathroom. Would you guys pull new wire from the fixture up to the attic, then back down to the red switch?

Advertisement

Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Do you still want the blue switch to control the fixture as well? Or do you want to remove it entirely?

Advertisement

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

You're going to have to remove the wire going from the blue switch to the light and run a new wire from the light to the switch by the door. You will either have to install a larger box by the door or use a combination switch that will fit into your current box. Or you can have everything controlled by one switch if you choose.

You may have power in the box by the door already, but there is always the chance that a switchloop was used so you'll have to open that box to see what you got.

The only painting I could see you having to do is where you patch over the box opening by the sink.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #4

I'm planning on using a double-gang box at the door. Is it a big no-no to pull that insulation back to do this, then put it back in place when I'm done?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt Ferguson View Post
I'm planning on using a double-gang box at the door. Is it a big no-no to pull that insulation back to do this, then put it back in place when I'm done?
That's the only way to do it.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

If possible may want to connect the blue box to the outlet circuit & make it an outlet - GFCI protected
Even just for a night lite
No mudding or painting
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt Ferguson View Post
That's perfectly fine. I find myself digging thru insulation often. Just replace it completely, make sure there are no air pockets, but don't pack it in too tight either.

If the wiring going from the light to the switch by the sink is going thru the attic, you can splice into it right there. Just cut it, install a box, then run a new wire from that box down to the switch by the door.

The wire that is going to the switch by the sink could either be pulled out or abandoned in the wall. As long as the wire is disconnected on both ends and cut as short as possible so no one can splice to it in the future, you can just patch right over the box by the sink.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Just call me Andrew

You can also use a double-switch, like the one here, and avoid having to rip your old single-gang box out.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #9

Thanks for all the responses. I think my plan of attack is going to be to run a new wire from the fixture to the new double switch pictured above, pull out the old wire if it's not too hard to get at. Then tap into the existing GFCI circuit and wire the blue box to be an outlet (there's an outlet by the vanity and every morning my wife has to pull out the night light to use her hair stuff). Thanks guys!

Advertisement