How To Wire Wall Heaters - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

How to wire wall heaters

I am building in my basement (lower level) and finishing a portion of it. I was given two Cadet heaters, both are 240 volts, but one is 1500 watts (6.25 amps)and the other is 4000 watts (16.67 amps) draw. i want to use them to heat the lower level rooms in the winter as Missouri can get pretty cold. I am not a novice and have wired lights and switches and installed receptacles many times but have never installed wall heaters. I have only worked with 15 and 20 amp circuits before, so the 240 volts makes me call for help!! I believe a 20 amp circuit with 12-2 or 12-3 wire will be sufficient for the 1500 watt heater but would like confirmation. The 4000 watt unit has me stumped. Can some one tell me (preferable with a couple of diagrams) how to wire these properly by code. Thanks so much--Denny

Advertisement

dddtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,354

How to wire wall heaters

The 1500 watt heater can be wired with 14-2 which will give you 15 amps de-rated to 80% (for continuous duty) or 12 amps. The 4000 watt heater is close to using 12-2 but I would wire with 10-2 which will give you 30 amps de-rated to 80% for 24 amps. Many would use 12-2 for the 4000 watt heater; 20 amps de-rated to 80% or 16 amps. The 80% de-rating is required for continuouis duty devices. Heaters are pure 240 volt devices and do not require a neutral so 3 wire cable is not required.

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #3

How to wire wall heaters

Handy--Thanks for the info that gets me to the breaker but I still don't know how to install and wire the 30 amp breaker. Can you help with this too--Denny
Old 04-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Journeyman Wireman

Rewards Points: 150

How to wire wall heaters

You could wire them both on a 240v. 30a circuit. Run 10/2 w/ ground. Don't forget to re-identify the white (wraps of black tape are fine) as a hot wire.

Do these heaters have thermostats on the units themselves? Or will you wire t-stats? The answer this question will determine the actual routing of the wires.
Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

How to wire wall heaters

How far is the run to the 4000w heater from the breaker panel ?
If its not that far I'd simply use 12-2 & a 20a 240v breaker
2 hots & a ground
16a VS 16.7a is not that great of a difference

What are you using for a thermostat(s) ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Journeyman Wireman

Rewards Points: 150

How to wire wall heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddtaylor View Post
Handy--Thanks for the info that gets me to the breaker but I still don't know how to install and wire the 30 amp breaker. Can you help with this too--Denny
Have you installed breakers before? Do you have enough spaces in your panel? Does it have a main breaker disconnect? Wiring a 2 pole 30a breaker is no different than other breakers. Land the ground on the ground bar, land each hot wire on the breaker lugs. Re-identify the white wire as a hot using black tape.

Did you have questions specific to your panel?
Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,354

How to wire wall heaters

Quote:
Wire both the white conductor (remarked or taped black) and the black conductor to the 2 pole breaker. Connect the bare ground to the ground bar.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

How to wire wall heaters

I just want to give you a head up most line voltage wall thermosat are typicaly rated for 22 amp however there are some models that can go much as 30 amp { that is pretty rare unless you get them from HVAC supply centre }

Are you going have both heater on same thermosat ? if so this part you have to becarefull with thermosat as I mention above.

If seperated area then it is not a issue at all due it will be under 22 amp rating.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #9

How to wire wall heaters

A little more information:
Both heaters have built-in thermosats on them. I have wired breakers and circuits for lighting and outlets before, but never any heaters. The higher wattage makes me want to get it right as the electrical inspector will approve or not and must be to NEC code. I have a subpanel that has 9 double slots open in it. One 30 amp double pole takes up two of these slots (or 4 singles) and I am finishing off a bedroom, bath, wet bar area, and a family room down there, so it's goimg to be tight with the bath, bar GFI, regrig, microwave all requiring separate circuits, plus the other lighting and outlet circuits. So if I can wire them both on one 30amp circuit and still be within code, that would be great. If so does the wiring I use have to be the same for both heaters eventough the other heater is much smaller. Also I have a single pole breakertype HOM that looks like it will accomnadate two wires under the one pole screw?

On another subject...I know code only allows 10 outlets per 15 amp circuit to be wired. Do any of you know if you can add lights to this circuit as most of the outlets are for convienience and will not be fully utilized or are the 10 outlets the max for everything?

I attached pics but the titles are under towel bars but they are the two different 30 amp breakersbreakers. Really appreciate any light you can shed and the help--Denny
Attached Thumbnails
How to wire wall heaters-broadway-towel-bar-pictures-062.jpg   How to wire wall heaters-30broadway-towel-bar-pictures-061.jpg   How to wire wall heaters-copy-broadway-towel-bar-pictures-063.jpg  
Old 04-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #10

How to wire wall heaters

Oh yeah forgot to tell you that the 4000watt heater is 65ft from the sub panel with all turns etc and the 1500 watt heater is 25 ft from the sub panel.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #11

How to wire wall heaters

Quote:
On another subject...I know code only allows 10 outlets per 15 amp circuit to be wired. Do any of you know if you can add lights to this circuit as most of the outlets are for convienience and will not be fully utilized or are the 10 outlets the max for everything?
Where are you located ?
US does not have any restriction on the number of outlets per circuit
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,462

How to wire wall heaters

If you use a 30 amp breaker then you must use #10 cable for all of the wiring.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,250

How to wire wall heaters

Download instructions here:
http://www.cadetco.com/downloads.php
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #14

How to wire wall heaters

The suggested website gave no help as to the questions I have. Just a repeat of what came with the product--Denny

Advertisement