Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #1

Share |

how to wire up electrical baseboard heaters

I have two dimplex electrical base board heaters to connect in series. Here's my problem wiring all previously in place from thermostat to old heaters (now discarded) wires from Panel and thermostat are black and white but from the dimplex heaters two black wires. Duh help?

back ground-- had flooded basement covered heaters replacing them so so I am boxing in to the wires well above the waterline and these wires are blk and white but again heaters have only two black?

Thanks

mmd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Electrician's Helper

Send a message via AIM to Pudge565

The incomming black goes to one of the black wires the white also connects to a black. I am not sure if it is recommended to connect them together. I am not sure which side you would do this from since I have never this. You will need a DP breaker both the black and the white go on the breaker.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #3

well as I indicated earlier this is just a heater replacement and the old heaters were black and white wires which ran from heaters to thermostat --thermostat to panel. I'm a bit confused which black goes to which and if they both go to black (three wires in a marrette)where does the white go?

Im installing two heaters in series I assume just to connect the two heaters using my 12/2 wire black to black and white to black just to connect the two heaters in series?

Also to the panel black to power, white to neutral bar and ground to ground correct

Thank you for any help much appreciated
Old 12-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #4

These are 220 right?
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgsgww View Post
These are 220 right?
This would be some useful information. It sounds like the old heaters might have been 120 (Op said the old heaters had black and white) and the new ones sound like they are 220 since they have 2 black wires. I would double check the nameplate rating on the heaters and check the wiring for this circuit in the main panel to see how the circuit is configured there. You cannot connect 220 volt heaters to a single 120volt breaker, you'd need a double pole breaker in the panel for those to work (which this would be a good indicator of the circuit its connected to just by looking at the circuit that controls this wire). Also, look at the thermostat, see what its nameplate says as well (whether its rated for 120v or 240 volt).
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #6

Yeah they were 120 but I upgraded my entrance to a 200amp ten years ago so all is wellin the panel. Sounds like I run all black tied in to gether and don't use the white. then into the panel black to power ground and white neutral
Old 12-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmd21 View Post
Yeah they were 120 but I upgraded my entrance to a 200amp ten years ago so all is wellin the panel. Sounds like I run all black tied in to gether and don't use the white. then into the panel black to power ground and white neutral
A 120V permenant heater with a wall thermostat? Not too common. Can you provide the model number and manufactuer.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #8

First...You need to know what voltage your new heaters require, then how many amps will each one pull!
GuitarPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
Electrician's Helper

Darn I forgot about the voltage. This maybe because I have never seen a 120 heater before. Secondly how many watts are they combined maynot be able to use 12 gauge wire.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge565 View Post
Darn I forgot about the voltage. This maybe because I have never seen a 120 heater before. Secondly how many watts are they combined maynot be able to use 12 gauge wire.
Attention to detail young Pudge. Collect all the facts, then dispense the correct advice.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #11
Electrician's Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Attention to detail young Pudge. Collect all the facts, then dispense the correct advice.
Point well taken
Old 12-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #12

if you have the black coming off the breaker and the white from the neutral bar then your 120Vs to the heaters.the CB black to the statT1,T2 on stat to the black on the heater(either) the other black to the white from the house.you want the stat to break the in coming HOT (black) from the breaker. and in turn control it into the heater.if you did the white to the stat then down to the heater you would still have the HOT into the heaterwith the stat off....as long as the new heaters are 115v rated if the old stuff was in series then your breaker should hold the new ones.

Last edited by biggles; 12-04-2008 at 07:37 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #13

I looked at the Dimplex website and it appears that all of their permanent baseboard heaters are 240V. I would like to have the nameplate info before giving any more advice.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
Electrician's Helper

Hmm he has not returned with the information so I guess he either called an electrician or figured it out himself.