Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10
Share |
Question

How to wire a pool heat pump


I recently purchased a pool heat pump and will be using a 50 amp double breaker from a subpanel to a disconnect box near the pump.
I will be using #6 copper wire, but noticed that the disconnect box only requires 3 wires, ie: 2 hot wires and a ground bar.
Do I need to have a white wire for a neutral from the subpanel to the heater? or just use #6 - 2wire plus ground and skip the white neutral?
I thought a neutral was always needed, but maybe not when going to 240 volts.
Thanks for any help with this.

lonric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,782
Default

How to wire a pool heat pump


A neutral is not required unless it is needed.
Instructions can be vague. If it says 120/240v, or "240v 4-wire" then a neutral is required. If it says "240v 3-wire" no neutral is needed.
Even then it may look vague. The instructions will tell you for sure.

Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10
Default

How to wire a pool heat pump


Speedy: Thanks for the info. I haven't received the pump yet, but will read the installation manual to make sure, but with it being a 40 amp min./60Amp max. 240, I assume it will likely say just 3 wire necessary.
lonric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10
Default

How to wire a pool heat pump


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
A neutral is not required unless it is needed.
Instructions can be vague. If it says 120/240v, or "240v 4-wire" then a neutral is required. If it says "240v 3-wire" no neutral is needed.
Even then it may look vague. The instructions will tell you for sure.
Speedy: if a neutral wire is needed, do you just connect the neutral together in the disconnect box with neutral from heat pump?, since there isn't a neutral bar in the disconnect box?
lonric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,503
Default

How to wire a pool heat pump


Quote:
Originally Posted by lonric View Post
Speedy: Thanks for the info. I haven't received the pump yet, but will read the installation manual to make sure, but with it being a 40 amp min./60Amp max. 240, I assume it will likely say just 3 wire necessary.
Don't assume anything. When the pump comes in look at the connection diagram. It will show you how many wires you will need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonric View Post
Speedy: if a neutral wire is needed, do you just connect the neutral together in the disconnect box with neutral from heat pump?, since there isn't a neutral bar in the disconnect box?
Thats correct. Land both the ground wires on the ground terminal.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,782
Default

How to wire a pool heat pump


What JV said.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lonric View Post
.............., but with it being a 40 amp min./60Amp max. 240, I assume it will likely say just 3 wire necessary.
The amperage has nothing to do with whether it needs a neutral or not.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10
Default

How to wire a pool heat pump


Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Don't assume anything. When the pump comes in look at the connection diagram. It will show you how many wires you will need.



Thats correct. Land both the ground wires on the ground terminal.
J.v. When you say land both ground wires on the ground terminal, you're referring to the ground from the heater and ground from the subpanel, correct?
the neutral wire from sub would just connect to the neutral from heater and NOT be connected on the ground terminal like is allowed in the Main panel, right?
In the subpanel, I didn't connect the ground to the neutral bar, but kept them separate.

lonric is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heat Pump Thermostat HELP!!! MichaelG HVAC 22 12-09-2010 04:50 PM
Help with Heat Pump System Wiring AlanScott HVAC 11 10-10-2010 12:19 PM
Heat pump and Honeywell 8000 questions. jyoderz HVAC 14 04-06-2010 02:26 PM
New Install - Heat Pump Woes... mark1210 HVAC 7 03-07-2010 09:14 AM
Heat Pump vs Aux Electric Heat batolson HVAC 16 01-17-2009 10:28 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.