How To Wire A Chandelier? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to wire a chandelier?

The chandelier was originally hardwired to be used in doors. I am now trying to wire it with a cord and electrical plug to be used outdoors. I have ran the new cord thru and hooked to existing wires, as it was previously. My question is what do I do with the ground wire? It is connected to a nut inside the bottom of the chandelier in the wiring casing and runs up the rod to hang out of the top of the chandelier. What do I do with it? Also, when connecting the new cord, both sides are same color and look identical, does it matter which side is connected to which?

Advertisement

MizMagnoliaQuee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

How to wire a chandelier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizMagnoliaQuee View Post
The chandelier was originally hardwired to be used in doors. I am now trying to wire it with a cord and electrical plug to be used outdoors. I have ran the new cord thru and hooked to existing wires, as it was previously. My question is what do I do with the ground wire? It is connected to a nut inside the bottom of the chandelier in the wiring casing and runs up the rod to hang out of the top of the chandelier. What do I do with it? Also, when connecting the new cord, both sides are same color and look identical, does it matter which side is connected to which?
connect the ground to the ground the screw shell (the threaded part) of the lampholder needs to be connected to the neutral and the the hot goes to the bottom you dont want the shell to be hot or you could get a shock putting in a bulb. the old wire probably looks the same but if you look close you should have one with a slight ridge to identify it .

Advertisement

usair is offline   Reply With Quote