How To Wire This.......... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how to wire this..........

i want to wire in a new bathroom fan. i don't have a light or anything in the ceiling now, my lights are wired into a medicine cabinet. i would like to install a bath fan in the ceiling, but not sure how to wire it in. i have a switch now for the lights on the medicine cabinet, and would like to take out that switch and add a double switch. can anyone help me out how i would wire this??

Advertisement

stuey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

how to wire this..........

This will vary, depending on your current installation. My assumption is that you have power coming to the existing switch, then to the light fixture. Is this correct?

Is the existing switch easily replaceable with a double switch? It the existing switch in an electrical box? Is there enough room for additional wiring? Have you been able to identify the circuit breaker controlling this load? Do you know how many other devices are on this circuit?

Depending on answers to those and, potentially, other questions, you are most likely going to have to run a wire from the existing switch location to the prospective fan location. I expect this to be the most difficult part of this job.

Advertisement

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote