Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #1

Share |

How to wire a 30A 250v plug and connect it to a well pump control box

Hi,

A little about me first...I am a DIY woman because my father did EVERYTHING himself. He read books, asked questions till he got the info he needed. I do not do everything myself, but do what I can.

We have a 3 hp pump for our well and have it wired as well as wired to the control box. Since our home is not in yet but our corn is, we need to get the pump up and running from a generator to water the wee plants.

My husband bought a 4 pin plug for me to wire and connect to the control box, but it did not come with wiring directions! We have #12 well pump wire. I need to know how to connect the wire from the plug to the control box as well as how to connect it to the plug itself. Any help would be most appreciated!
diyorgobroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #2

Do you really think anyone can help you with such little information? Just the mention of "pins" means two things. (1) You are not in the US. (2) You should call someone who knows about these things.

I am not trying to be a smart ass. I am trying to prevent you from hurting yourself or ruining your pump or your control box. Maybe if you posted pictures of the pump, the control box and the plug, someone here might just recognize it and supply the correct information. Good luck and I for one look forward to the pictures.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Definitely need more information.
mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

I'd be willing to guess that your pump control box requires a straight 240 Volt circuit.

And the so-called "4-pin" plug is a twist-lock type that fits most generators with a 30 Amp 120/240 receptacle. Does it look like this?

If so then you will only use 3 of the 4 prongs to operate your pump from a typical 5000 watt generator. You will need a 3-wire cable and use one conductor on each of the hot terminals [x, and y], and the ground terminal [g]. The ground terminal is the "L-shaped" one.

The "neutral" or "white" [w] connection is the one opposite of the grounding terminal and is not used.

Those 2 hot wires connect to the "line" input on your pump controller, and the ground wire connects to the green screw.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is online now   Reply With Quote