Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #1

Share |
Talking

How wire 2 20a breaker w/bar

I want to wire a titan that runs on 40a at 220v. I want to use a disconnet box. It can be fused or unfused, but the question is how is the disconnect suppose to wired. The box has 4 lugs. Two on each side and a lug in the lower middle of the box for both grounds. I own a volt meter. I know I have the right votage. I do not know how to wire the harness of the Titan to the disconnect box. I want to #8/2 becuase the Titan requires the gauge of wire. I believe that the postion of the wire does not matter because the current flows directly through the two wires from the two breakers to the Titan through the box lugs, so the postion does not matter, but I am not sure, but both breakers will trip together because they are on the same bar. Can some give me a head up on this.

Thnks

fantaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

There are two sets of two terminals each in the disconnect. One pair is the "line" side, which should be connected to the power source from the main panel. The other pair is the "load" side, which should be connected to the "Titan". It is somewhat important that the line and load connections not be reversed. They will be labeled inside the disconnect. As you determined, all the ground connections go to the ground lug or ground bar attached to the case of the disconnect.

Oh, by the way, what the heck is a "Titan"?

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

And I hope you are using a 2 pole 40A breaker, not a "2 20a breaker".
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
There are two sets of two terminals each in the disconnect. One pair is the "line" side, which should be connected to the power source from the main panel. The other pair is the "load" side, which should be connected to the "Titan". It is somewhat important that the line and load connections not be reversed. They will be labeled inside the disconnect. As you determined, all the ground connections go to the ground lug or ground bar attached to the case of the disconnect.

Oh, by the way, what the heck is a "Titan"?
A titan tankless water heater runs at 40a 220v
www.tankthetank.com
fantaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Ah, that makes sense then. I hope you're not expecting much hot water from that thing - it's rather small as tankless heaters go.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Are you using this for the whole house appaction or point of use ? if latter it will be not too bad but for whole house IMO that is way too small unless you are in very warm area it may get by with it.

That 8.5 KW unit is not very big at all.

I just want make sure you understand this before you get this unit hook up I have few customers were disappoint with the performace with tankless water heater.

And of course that was a much larger unit btw.,,

Merci,
Marc