Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #1

Share |

How safe is an electric heater?

I posted this message on the appliance section as well.
I am using an oiled filled electric heater brand name Noma. I have read good reviews online from people who bought it too but I wonder how safe it is use to use it in a high rise apartment. My friend is advising me to not use it on a regular base and get back to my hot air gaz using heater.

Thanks.

CB

Circuit breakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
the Musigician

safe enough when following safety instructions included. they use $$$ elec. though.....

DM

Old 12-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #3

How does the high rise come into play, fire hazard?
I use two of them, one for spot heating and one for an otherwise unheated bedroom. Mine has tip over protection and is kept a few feet away from everything and don't use an extension cord. At 1500 watts it costs me about a dollar a day to keep the one 14' square bedroom warm, of course the outside temperature and how many of your walls actually border the outside will make a big difference, if you have heated apartments above and below you it could be much cheaper.

When people offer up free information like "don't use it" I require a verifiable reason to even consider taking the advice.
hychesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
safe enough when following safety instructions included. they use $$$ elec. though.....

DM

Ok. I just don't feel good about leaving it on when there is nobody at home.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hychesee View Post
How does the high rise come into play, fire hazard?
I use two of them, one for spot heating and one for an otherwise unheated bedroom. Mine has tip over protection and is kept a few feet away from everything and don't use an extension cord. At 1500 watts it costs me about a dollar a day to keep the one 14' square bedroom warm, of course the outside temperature and how many of your walls actually border the outside will make a big difference, if you have heated apartments above and below you it could be much cheaper.

When people offer up free information like "don't use it" I require a verifiable reason to even consider taking the advice.

The high rise comes into play because I feel less safe so far from the ground. I mean in a house you can get out in less 30 seconds not in a high rise even though the fire department people told me buildings are safer

Basically, I am worried about leaving the heater on when I am away. I have to be careful to paper and clothing etc.

CB
Old 12-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #6

I agree and never leave the house with the electric heaters on or fire in the wood burner, I also have a habit of unplugging the coffee pot but never the toaster? It maybe over reaction but it makes me feel good, but think of all the people who have electric baseboard heaters who leave them unattended.
hychesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

After the heater has been running for a while.
Put your hand on the recep, and see if its getting hot.

15 amp receps tend to get a bit too warm when you have a 1.5KW heater running for an hour or more.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #8
Whatamess

With an electric heater 100% of the energy goes to heat which makes it 100% efficient. No energy goes up the chimney or to operate a fan. Not the best heat to some but efficient.