Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

How to run two lighting loops on one circuit?

I have a semi-complex (to me) scenario I need help with.

I want to run a 4 way light loop for recessed lights and a 3 way light loop for my pendant lights on the same ciruit.

recessed -S1=S2=S3-L-L-L-L-L-L-L
pendant S4=S5-L-L-L

For this example let's say:
S = Switch
L = Light
- is 12/2
= is 12/3

I am running the power to S1 then as I wrote above. I want to start the pendant line from S2. I know that S1, S3 and S5 need to be 3way switches and S2 needs to be a 4way switch.

My question is how do I wire into S2 the start of the other line? Does S4 need to be a 4 way or a 3 way switch and which wires need to be spliced together?

Does this make sense? Thank you!

outgolfin0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hope this helps

http://www.askthebuilder.com/B141_3_..._Diagram.shtml

Old 12-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Chewy - Lic. Electrician

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by outgolfin0 View Post
recessed -S1=S2=S3-L-L-L-L-L-L-L
So in the recessed lights setup, these S1,S2,S3 switches only control the following 7 lights correct?

Quote:
pendant S4=S5-L-L-L
In this setup the S4 and S5 are only controlling the following 3 lights?

Now you want the ALL the pendant lights to be fed off of S2? and if so do you want S1,S2,S3 to remain controlling the 7 recessed lights? if that is the case what do you want to come of S4 and S5?

please explain what your goal is. like what switches you want controlling what lights include what you want every switch to do. cause right now its hard for me to understand what your trying to say.
SGC622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

I believe I understand what the OP is trying to do. You won't be able to take power from S2 to S4...no constant 'hot'. Take a 12/2 from S1 to S4 if you can. If you want S2 to S4, you'll have to bring a 12/2 from S1 to S2, and then to S4, in addition to the 12/3 from S1 to S2. S4 needs to be a 3-way switch. Decide which way you want to do it, and we can help you out with the actual connections. Watch you box fill.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should

Last edited by SD515; 12-16-2010 at 07:55 PM.
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGC622 View Post
So in the recessed lights setup, these S1,S2,S3 switches only control the following 7 lights correct?

In this setup the S4 and S5 are only controlling the following 3 lights?

Now you want the ALL the pendant lights to be fed off of S2? and if so do you want S1,S2,S3 to remain controlling the 7 recessed lights? if that is the case what do you want to come of S4 and S5?

please explain what your goal is. like what switches you want controlling what lights include what you want every switch to do. cause right now its hard for me to understand what your trying to say.
The idea is to run two separate lines. there will be a recessed lighting line with 3 switches and 7 lights and a pendant line with 2 switches and 3 lights.
The switches and lights are different. The switches from the recessed line do not control in any way the lights on the pendant line and vica versa. I want the two lines to be run off the same circuit though.

I forgot to mention that S1 is in its own switchbox, S2 and S4 are together, and S3 and S5 are together.

I want to take the power for the pendant line from the other line at the switchbox of S2. Is this possible or do I have to run a 12/2 from the box of S1 to the box of S2/S4?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
I believe I understand what the OP is trying to do. You won't be able to take power from S2 to S4...no constant 'hot'. Take a 12/2 from S1 to S4 if you can. If you want S2 to S4, you'll have to bring a 12/2 from S1 to S2, and then to S4, in addition to the 12/3 from S1 to S2. S4 needs to be a 3-way switch. Decide which way you want to do it, and we can help you out with the actual connections. Watch you box fill.

You are correct, I would like to take power from S2 for S4.

So if I understand this correctly, if you took power from S2, you would be controlling the power to S4 as well with S1-3 because you would be drawing power from the travelers. That's why you need to run a dedicated 12/2 from S1 so that you are getting constant power.

I am going to go ahead with just splicing in a 12/2 at S1 and running that over to S4. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:04 AM   #7
Chewy - Lic. Electrician

Rewards Points: 75

I think i get what your saying now and given what you said, you would have to take out the feed to S1 and run a wire from S4 to feed S1. to get both sets of switches to be fed by the pendant light circuit.
SGC622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
You are correct, I would like to take power from S2 for S4.

So if I understand this correctly, if you took power from S2, you would be controlling the power to S4 as well with S1-3 because you would be drawing power from the travelers. That's why you need to run a dedicated 12/2 from S1 so that you are getting constant power.
Correct

Quote:
I am going to go ahead with just splicing in a 12/2 at S1 and running that over to S4. Thanks for the help.
That will work. Again, make sure your within the box fill calculations.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 way switch, 4 way switch, mutliple loops