How To Run Line For Backyard Post Lights. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

How to run line for backyard post lights.

I would like to install at least two post lights on my backyard. It is big and dark at night. I was wondering what is the proper way to run the lines for the 120 vac light posts. I assume PVC conduit, correct? Is there any specs on recommended paths, and depth, size of conduit?. Is this something a project of a diy guy or better left for a licensed electrician?.
(I had posted a similar question on the Landscape forum, but I guess it was the wrong place).

Advertisement

gante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 504
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

I'll just say a simple way would be to install a deadfront GFI to feed the lights, use UF cable and bury it 12". As far as paths to take, in a straiht line of possible. This is very DIYable.

Advertisement

wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
DIYer

Rewards Points: 75

Threadjacking a bit, but still on topic, I think... How do/should you document any lines you bury? I want to run power to my shed and a couple of post lights this year, but I want to make sure future owners of the house know where the lines are should they need to dig for any reason. Also, if they do a call-before-you-dig, how can any lines I bury show up on the results of that call?
jpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 504
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsmith View Post
Threadjacking a bit, but still on topic, I think... How do/should you document any lines you bury? I want to run power to my shed and a couple of post lights this year, but I want to make sure future owners of the house know where the lines are should they need to dig for any reason. Also, if they do a call-before-you-dig, how can any lines I bury show up on the results of that call?
Usually, Miss Utility won't mark "private" utilities. If you run a straight line, you could easily map that out. You could put some marker tape in the trench about 6" above the wire so if someone is digging, they'll hit the tape first and know they're on top of the wire. If a metal detector is used, it may pick up on the wire. There's also some metal tracing tape that can be installed with it.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
DIYer

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks! I also imagine if I use pvc conduit, they'll hit that with a shovel and will realize to stop. But I was concerned about future hard-core DIYers that might rent a mini-excavator and go to town. I guess it wouldn't hurt if I also kept a map of the buried lines near the elecrical panel, too.
jpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,008

Make a simple drawing of the property and measure from permanent landmarks for the buried raceway. Keep in your records for future use.

Here in my jurisdiction you can run the PVC all the way from the source to the light fixtures. Like up the side of the pole. Some want schedule 80 above grade and some others may require RMC above grade. You might want to check.
How far are you going? What type of fixtures? Do you know what size wire you need?

If you go with Uf cable you need to protect it above grade. PVC, RMC sleeve.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

You can do it but if you call someone it will get done right, get done quickly and help stimulate the economy

Dig it yourself to save some cash. Electricians are a spoiled elitist bunch and they hate to dig.

Please don't use UF. Put it in in conduit. Direct burial wire is too vulnerable.

Start the circuit off at a GFCI recep and you only have to go 12" deep.

Advertisement

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote