Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #1

Share |

How to run electrical service into the house

I have a original cape style house with an attached garage and need to know what is the correct/best way to run electrical service line into the house. I have an unfinished basement which makes things easier. Since the house has an attached garage, the previous owners decided to run the electrical service through the garage as shown in the picture. This is problematic as I am planning on rebuilding the garage, that is taking down the old sheet rock and putting up new one. Also because the service line has to leave the back of the garage and enter the back of the house right under the back door. The back door will also be getting replaced soon and I donít want to run into any issues later while is getting changed out. Can anyone with some expertise on the subject make a suggesting on a better way to run the service line into my basement. Iíd like to address this problem prior to gutting out the garage and changing out the back door. I will also be upgrading the service line to 200A.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
How to run electrical service into the house-electrical_service.jpg  

smithers76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Meter really needs to go on the back of the house nearest to the Main Panel. May want to check with your AHJ to see if any permits were originally pulled when the garage was done. City may put a stop order on any work, until proper permits are pulled for any work, either done by you, or a hired contractor.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

If there is no disconnect at the meter the cable MUST be run outside, or more the meter near the entrance.
You CANNOT run all that cable inside the garage without a disconnect near the point of entry.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #4

There is a disconnect at the meter
Old 01-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithers76 View Post
There is a disconnect at the meter
Doesn't matter, as Speedy pointed out, it is not code. I bet the whole garage was not built with Permit, and the electrical did not have permits. Otherwise, why would it be going clear through the garage, ran not by code.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Doesn't matter, as Speedy pointed out, it is not code. I bet the whole garage was not built with Permit, and the electrical did not have permits. Otherwise, why would it be going clear through the garage, ran not by code.

Actually Speedy stated it could not run thru the garage without a disconnect
Which the OP stated it has
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

I took the point of entry at the house, not at the Meter Pan. It would never fly with our city, because of the length of run from the pan to the main. Only way, would be if it ran in conduit all the way from Meter to Main, then the disco would fly at the meter. The key here is, the OP did not state if the run was in conduit, or just trussed up along the garage wall or ceiling, so I am going to take a guess that it may not be.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
Scared Electrician

This is something that needs to be discussed with the local utility. I recommend underground lateral to new desired location. You WILL need permits and the cooperation of the utility and inspectors to do this. And unless you are pretty familiar with electrical work a professional, this is not an easy project to get done right.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #9

Thanks a lot guys. I am in Long Island, New York. Very interesting thread you posted Scuba_Dave, i will be sure to read it carefully. Right now is getting close to my bedtime. I too bought a fixer upper. The day after closing i ripped opened the entire living room.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:37 AM   #10

I thought at first that he was saying the SE Panel was in the garage, and that he wanted to move it to the basement. I wonder if that's really the case; OP?
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #11
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I took the point of entry at the house, not at the Meter Pan. It would never fly with our city, because of the length of run from the pan to the main.
This is a local requirement to you. This is NOT how most of the rest of the country works.

The point of entry is at the GARAGE, not the house. The garage is attached so it is part of the structure.

He has a disconnect at the meter, after that it does not matter where it is run, inside or out.

Even if there were no disconnect, he could literally wrap the SE cable around the outside of the house before the point of entry. Once the service penetrates the structure that is where the distance rules begin.

Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Scuba_Dave (01-05-2011)