Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #1

Share |

how to rough in for pendant lights?

I am building a soffit around a bar area in my basement which will have pendant lighting above the bar. I haven't framed for this yet because I am not sure on how I should do the rough in for the pendant lights...

I want to keep the soffit as thin as possible, its mainly a transition between drywall ceiling and a drop ceiling that will be above the bar area.

all this is going to be done with standard 2x4 framing.

Do you use standard round junction boxes where the lights will go? or do you use recessed light boxes? I know some pendant lights are "retro fit" to recessed but didn't know if this is a standard way to build now or just go with an electical box and that's it.

any guides or spec drawings out there on how other people did it? i tried googleing info but didn't get much in terms of examples

thanks

House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

For pendant lights use standard round boxes attached to the framing. If there is any possibility that fans could be mounted in these boxes by you or the next owner, the boxes will need to be fan rated. Not seeing it, I can't say for sure on this.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
For pendant lights use standard round boxes attached to the framing. If there is any possibility that fans could be mounted in these boxes by you or the next owner, the boxes will need to be fan rated. Not seeing it, I can't say for sure on this.
I'd hope no one would want to put a fan there, the ceiling is 8ft high, the soffit will drop that 5" then the bar right below it, wouldn't want fan blades that close to my head
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Insatiable Learner

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
wouldn't want fan blades that close to my head
Have you seen the price of haircuts these days?
AngelArs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelArs View Post
Have you seen the price of haircuts these days?
*shudders* I still get chills when I think of getting hit by a ceiling fan spinning after seeing a "smart" person jump upwards into one while spinning at high speed on youtube and getting their head slammed by the blades
Old 10-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Insatiable Learner

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
*shudders* I still get chills when I think of getting hit by a ceiling fan spinning after seeing a "smart" person jump upwards into one while spinning at high speed on youtube and getting their head slammed by the blades
The good news is.... you only do that once
AngelArs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Licensed Electrician

If the boxes are that low you can probably get away with standard boxes rather than fan rated. Although I've seen ceiling fans in very strange places.

I had a large industrial size ceiling fan knock my hard hat off one day while I was in the lift running conduit through the trusses in a factory. I turned them off after that.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Since you cannot install a fan so that the fan blades are below 7', you wouldn't need fan rated boxes in this case.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote