Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

how to ring out telephone wires in the wall

I have some phone jacks. They are supposed to be daisy-chained to a main terminal. But a few of them apparent are not connected to the main terminal. What's the best way/tool to ring out the wires in the wall? I have seen eletricians using toner on high voltage wires. Would that work on phone wires?

ninghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,464

Yes it will. There are also low-voltage tone transmitters and receivers available. Depending on how important this is to you, they don't cost very much I don't think.

Not sure how far the probe can be from the conductor or if they will pick up through walls or not.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

This http://www.lowes.com/pd_183175-12704...3D2&facetInfo=
This http://www.lowes.com/pd_166440-1781-...3D2&facetInfo=
This http://www.lowes.com/pd_25663-85476-...3D2&facetInfo=
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

The tracers / signal generator will work fine on any unenergized circuit. I've used them to trace phone, coax and electrical circuits after disconnecting them from the source. And I have used them in distances over 500 feet while tracing telephone wiring in a commercial building.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
The tracers / signal generator will work fine on any unenergized circuit. I've used them to trace phone, coax and electrical circuits after disconnecting them from the source. And I have used them in distances over 500 feet while tracing telephone wiring in a commercial building.
As Missouri Bound said, make sure to not use them on a live circuit. I've mistakenly used a network tester on a live telephone line and fried the tester. The signal generator will work perfectly, i've been able to trace a wire through the wall, and even picking out a pair of wires out of a 50 pair bundle.
daveplot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #6

Look up "telephone tracer" or "wiring tracer" at ebay. These units run about $30 on ebay. They sell a variety primarily designed for telephone use. I have used thesen telephone units also for tracing AC wiring in walls by connecting the aligator clips to a disconected circuit. You can turn up the sensitivity and sense the wires are present within a few feet, then crank down the sensitivity when you need to know the exact cable location or even the exact wire. Do be careful though -- these units are susceptable to cross-talk -- the signal from one conductor or cable might "jump" to a parallel wire or cable. The longer the area that is in close proximity, the stronger the cross talk. An experienced user can usually avoid such problems, but it takes practice to become good.

I recently used this when my step-daughter had her Federal Pacific breaker panel replaced before she moved into a newly purchased "bank owned" home. The outlets in several areas did not seem to work. By hooking the tracer to a non-working outlet, it was possible to determine that the outlets were grouped together, although not immediately obvious since the wiring went up and down stairs and skipped some areas. Got a strong signal near the new panel, but none on any wires inside the panel. Turns out the romex for this circuit was never fished through into the panel and therefor was not hooked up to a breaker. The good news was it was easy to fix. The bad news is that the drywall around the panel needed to be repaired for the second time.
Perry401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Ebay. That is like going down the street and asking the 2 year old on his scooter. Same as telling someone to use Google. The links I gave are a good start in the equipment needed. This is not rocket science Perry401.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote