How To Replace The Architrave Switch? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10

How to replace the architrave switch?

I need to replace the architrave switch. I have checked online, but the switch is different to mine. Most switches online has only three wires. But my one has four. I wonder if anyone can tell me the difference between the four and how to replace it?

Much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
How to replace the architrave switch?-architrave-switch.jpg   How to replace the architrave switch?-light-switch.jpg  


smoyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 34,442
Rewards Points: 14,014

Sounds like you have a three way switch instead of a two way.
Can you turn the light on from more then one place with two differant switches? That would take a three way switch.
You need to be looking someplace local for that switch, electrical supply, hardware store ECT.


joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 7,966
Rewards Points: 1,538

Switches with four terminals are used for lights controlled by switches in three or more locations. Also for certain kinds of equipment where both hot wires are switched as opposed to just one.

To find out for sure you would need either the switch instructions or to conduct tests by taking a multimeter and measuring continuity between every combination and permutation of terminals taken two at a time. Repeat the tests with the switch in the other position.

If the switch is defective, it will require intuition that experienced electricians have to interpret the test results. (You don't need an electrician's license to have that intution.)
The good conscientious technician or serviceperson will carry extra oils and lubricants in case the new pump did not come with oil or the oil was accidentally spilled, so the service call can be completed without an extra visit.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
joed's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 13,272
Rewards Points: 13,340
Blog Entries: 11

Is this possibly a low voltage controlled system?
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor
kbsparky's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delmarva
Posts: 3,368
Rewards Points: 2,000

Unless there are other switches that control the same light, maybe you have a double-pole switch?

Did you check for replacement switches at Mitre10?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,497
Rewards Points: 500

Well as usual, 4-way switches are called something else in other parts of the world...

[Readers in the UK should read "two-way" for the American "three-way" and "intermediate" or "crossover" switch for the American "four-way".]...
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:56 AM   #7
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 530
Rewards Points: 1,056

While seeking information on something else, I came across this (old) question - and the associated non-answers.
Unfortunately, the answers illustrate the dangers of asking (technical) questions of people based in a "country" other than that in which the questioner resides.

The questioner was based in Australia while the respondents (to date) were not.

The Architrave Switch in question is quite common in Australia and New Zealand (and now in the UK, South Africa and elsewhere).
The questioner "misspoke" when he stated "Most switches online has only three wires. But my one has four."
The picture shown was of Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) switch "mechanism" with (3+1 = 4) "terminals". (In North America SPDT switches are called "3-Way" switches but elsewhere they are known as "2-way" switches.)

On one side of the "mechanism" are the 3 "Active" terminals, which will be found to be labeled as "1", "C" and "2" - with the "C" indicating the "Common" terminal.
The remaining terminal is labeled "L" - which indicates a "Loop" terminal and NOT a "Line" (or "Live") terminal. This terminal plays no part in the action of the switch but, because there is available space, it is provided as an insulated terminal for joining other wires, if required, (such as the Neutral wires.
(Further information may be found in Wikipedia under "Light Switch".


FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrodoOne For This Useful Post:
GrayHair (03-04-2016), jbfan (03-04-2016)

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replace Photocell with Toggle Switch AberKat1016 Electrical 1 06-21-2012 08:40 PM
3 way switch replacement in 1923 old house elcc1958 Electrical 3 02-06-2012 08:42 PM
Existing switch, replace with combo switch/outlet shujinko Electrical 4 04-30-2011 05:19 PM
Modification to an existing pump switch DRBLKJK Electrical 10 08-23-2009 03:06 PM
looking to replace a rotary switch Unregistered Electrical 1 03-31-2004 12:57 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1