DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   How to replace the architrave switch? (

smoyi 01-19-2013 06:25 AM

How to replace the architrave switch?
2 Attachment(s)
I need to replace the architrave switch. I have checked online, but the switch is different to mine. Most switches online has only three wires. But my one has four. I wonder if anyone can tell me the difference between the four and how to replace it?

Much appreciated.

joecaption 01-19-2013 08:14 AM

Sounds like you have a three way switch instead of a two way.
Can you turn the light on from more then one place with two differant switches? That would take a three way switch.
You need to be looking someplace local for that switch, electrical supply, hardware store ECT.

AllanJ 01-19-2013 09:12 AM

Switches with four terminals are used for lights controlled by switches in three or more locations. Also for certain kinds of equipment where both hot wires are switched as opposed to just one.

To find out for sure you would need either the switch instructions or to conduct tests by taking a multimeter and measuring continuity between every combination and permutation of terminals taken two at a time. Repeat the tests with the switch in the other position.

If the switch is defective, it will require intuition that experienced electricians have to interpret the test results. (You don't need an electrician's license to have that intution.)

joed 01-19-2013 09:24 AM

Is this possibly a low voltage controlled system?

kbsparky 01-19-2013 10:58 AM

Unless there are other switches that control the same light, maybe you have a double-pole switch?

Did you check for replacement switches at Mitre10?

Billy_Bob 01-19-2013 11:51 AM

Well as usual, 4-way switches are called something else in other parts of the world...

[Readers in the UK should read "two-way" for the American "three-way" and "intermediate" or "crossover" switch for the American "four-way".]...

FrodoOne 03-04-2016 12:56 AM

While seeking information on something else, I came across this (old) question - and the associated non-answers.
Unfortunately, the answers illustrate the dangers of asking (technical) questions of people based in a "country" other than that in which the questioner resides.

The questioner was based in Australia while the respondents (to date) were not.

The Architrave Switch in question is quite common in Australia and New Zealand (and now in the UK, South Africa and elsewhere).
The questioner "misspoke" when he stated "Most switches online has only three wires. But my one has four."
The picture shown was of Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) switch "mechanism" with (3+1 = 4) "terminals". (In North America SPDT switches are called "3-Way" switches but elsewhere they are known as "2-way" switches.)

On one side of the "mechanism" are the 3 "Active" terminals, which will be found to be labeled as "1", "C" and "2" - with the "C" indicating the "Common" terminal.
The remaining terminal is labeled "L" - which indicates a "Loop" terminal and NOT a "Line" (or "Live") terminal. This terminal plays no part in the action of the switch but, because there is available space, it is provided as an insulated terminal for joining other wires, if required, (such as the Neutral wires.
(Further information may be found in Wikipedia under "Light Switch".

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1