How To Repair Electrical Out Let - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

how to repair electrical out let

Looking for ideas on how to repair / secure electrical outlets , that are not secure ,in old plaster/lath walls, I was thinking of cutting out an area from stud to stud and replacing with wallboard , so I had something to tie the wallboard onto , then cutting out an area from the wallboard/Plasterboard for the outlet, is this a good idea. any suggestions ?

Advertisement

jjchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjchips View Post
Looking for ideas on how to repair / secure electrical outlets , that are not secure ,in old plaster/lath walls, I was thinking of cutting out an area from stud to stud and replacing with wallboard , so I had something to tie the wallboard onto , then cutting out an area from the wallboard/Plasterboard for the outlet, is this a good idea. any suggestions ?
What do you mean by "not secure".Maybe somrthing like these might help get them at any home store we call them spark guards but they might help keep it secure maybe....they are single just set side by side.

Advertisement

300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

You can try replacing them with some remodel boxes and clamp it to the lath and plaster, and if it's still not secure enough, drive a screw from the inside of the box into the stud. Not sure if that last thing I said is legal, but it works.
KennMacMoragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Are you able to use a retro box in that location? If you can get the old box out, you may be able to replace it with a blue retro box, provided the plaster and lathe isn't too thick. These boxes use dog ears to attach to the wall from the back. Aaaand that's pretty much what the poster before me suggested.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,806

If you are going to cut the plaster out due to its' poor condition or strength just nail up new work boxes and the patch with the drywall.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,044

Maybe along the same line: My son once bought a 1921 house with plaster walls. The electrical had been upgraded sometime back, but quite a few of the metal duplex outlet boxes were loose in the plaster. What I found was that the boxes were not secured to any wall studs, or actually anything. I appeared that holes were cut into the plaster, the boxes just pushed in tightly, and were to stay as such--NOT. In due time, and with various items being plugged in and unplugged, the boxes were coming loose. I had to go in and remove each loose box, replace it with an "old work" type box with the ears which swing out with the screw. Problem was the old plaster is thicker than today's drywall so the ears would not catch the back of the plaster. Solution: change the screws in the old work boxes to longer screws so the ears catch the back of the plaster, the front tabs catch the front of the plaster, and the boxes would tighten up properly. Hope this helps, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,258

Don't rip out parts of your nice plaster walls. You can get box supports like these:
http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...-supports.aspx

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote