Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #1

Share |

How to remove trim from Halo recessed lighting??

I just bought my first house (built in 2006) and I'm trying to get some painting done.

I want to remove the trim from my recessed lighting for the painting project, but so far I'm having no success.

I took out the light bulb and "pinched" the spring loaded clips that were visible where the light bulb screws in. Those clips weren't securing the trim to the ceiling, they were just securing the ceramic piece where the light bulb screws in to the trim (sorry, don't know the name of the item where the light bulb screws in). So now the ceramic piece is sitting above the trim, so if I tried to screw the light bulb back in it would just push further up into the ceiling.

I've googled my little heart out and can't figure out how to get this trim out.

I am 95% sure the lights are made by Cooper Lighting (based on generic warranty paper work found in the house), however there is no model or other information visible from the inside of the light.

Here are a few pictures of what I'm looking at. The pictures are of 2 different light fixtures (both the exact same model) so you can see the one where I "popped out" the ceramic piece and the other where all I have done is removed the light bulb.

Thanks for any help!

(You can see in the pictures my scratches to the trim from attempted to push, pull, and turn the little tabs)

rdiggidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Just pull it down. It is held in place by springs in the frame of the light. Get your nails under the edge, and your thumbs on the inside and pull. Or, since the socket is loose, stick a finger in that hole (not the socket!) and pull. It will come down, unless some dummy has glued it in place.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply! I tried pulling on it lightly yesterday, but I will try a firm tug when I get home from work today.

So what happens with the springs that are holding it in place? Will they detach, just strech enough for me to undo them or will they break and need to be replaced?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdiggidy View Post
Thanks for the reply! I tried pulling on it lightly yesterday, but I will try a firm tug when I get home from work today.

So what happens with the springs that are holding it in place? Will they detach, just strech enough for me to undo them or will they break and need to be replaced?
They are just spring metal that holds against the side of the trim by friction. As you pull the trim down they flex enough to let go, and they usually stay in place. I have seen a bad installation where the spring clips weren't attached properly to the housing and came loose, but it really isn't that big of a deal.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #5

Possibly they were alos installed before the paint fulled dried
So they might be stuck a little
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
They are just spring metal that holds against the side of the trim by friction
Rotate/twist a little as you pull it down.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #7

A firm tug and it came right down. Thank you all for the help!

I'm sure I'll be back for more advise before long :-)
Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #8

How do I install the spring (Angle shaped) back on the trim to hold in the lens on my square shaped 9.625" recessed light fixture and attach the trim and lens back on?

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote