Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

how to operate my 120ac garage door motor via low voltage switch

Recently bought a 20'ish year old house which has an automatic garage. The door operates via a switch inside the garage - I opened the switch and it appears as it is a high voltage switch. Basically red/black/white and ground are feed into the switch via another conduit. If you flip the switch to up, the red and common connect, where down is black and common. I have a Liftmaster wireless receiver and wireless keypad that I want to connect to the door system. The reciever only has two think wires which are support to connect to the doors switch or the 'common' and 'command'. Problem is the motor does not have these terminals, and the switch that the liftmaster wants I believe is a low voltage switch.

How can I connect my wireless system to my motor? I suppose I need some sort of relay, but do not know where to start?

Thanks

DanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

how many terminals does the receiver have? Do you have a schematic for the internal connections of the receiver?

what is the manuf and model of the opener as well as the wireless unit you have?. Maybe somebody can dig something up online to help if we had that info.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
I=E/R

What brand and model, should be on some type of tag somewhere. Is the opener plugged into a 120V outlet?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
how many terminals does the receiver have? Do you have a schematic for the internal connections of the receiver?

what is the manuf and model of the opener as well as the wireless unit you have?. Maybe somebody can dig something up online to help if we had that info.
The reciever is a Liftmaster 365LM and the wireless keypad is a liftmaster 377LM. The receiver has 2 terminals - instructions says to connect the two terminals to the motors 2/white/common and 1/red/command or to the motor switch. Problem is the motor does not have these terminals and currently the switch is a high voltage switch. I think the liftmaster wants a low voltage switch cause the wires that came with it are very thin.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #5

Dan,
can you take a few pics and post them? Pics of the terminals on the opener, and the switch you have, and also the liftmaster parts.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
What brand and model, should be on some type of tag somewhere. Is the opener plugged into a 120V outlet?
By opener I assume you mean the motor. I have a 120ac wire that feeds a on/off switch within a conduit box mounted next to the motor - two wires come out the switch box - one goes to the motor and the other to another switch within a conduit box - this 2nd switch is a 3 position switch - one is up, one is stop and one is down. I opened up this 2nd switch and the wires are all thick as if the other switch box is feeding 120ac down to this 2nd switch.

Hopefully my description makes sense. Anyways, the liftmaster wireless receiver (365lm) has two thin wires that is wants to connect to the motors switch or to the motors common and command terminals. Problem is that I can not find any such terminals on the motor?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
By opener I assume you mean the motor.
Question, is there any type of control board on this opener or is it just a motor?
Quote:
I have a 120ac wire that feeds a on/off switch within a conduit box mounted next to the motor - two wires come out the switch box - one goes to the motor and the other to another switch within a conduit box - this 2nd switch is a 3 position switch - one is up, one is stop and one is down. I opened up this 2nd switch and the wires are all thick as if the other switch box is feeding 120ac down to this 2nd switch.
When you run the garage door up, does it stop automatically when it is at the top or do you have to place the switch in Stop?
What about when it goes down?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Question, is there any type of control board on this opener or is it just a motor?
When you run the garage door up, does it stop automatically when it is at the top or do you have to place the switch in Stop?
What about when it goes down?

The motor area is enclosed, so I can only see the motor (can't see a board). But you are right, the motor stops when it gets to the top and same for bottom - so does that mean it has a board?

I took another look at the wiring. Basically I have three wire ac cable (black,white,ground) going into a junction box - out from the junction box is a wire to the motor assembly and a wire down to the 3way switch. Inside the switch are 4 wires (black,red,white and ground - white is common, red is up, black is down, ground is ground). Not sure what or how many wires run out the junction box to the motor since they are in a jacket and I can not open up the area where the wires actually attach. However I suspect the same 4 as that is what makes the motor know when to go up and down (needs 4 for that). Again the wires to the switch is thick and I'm pritty sure the switch is therefore a typical ac type. The liftmaster needs some low voltage terminals. So what are my options?

Thanks again
Old 09-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
I=E/R

Sounds like this is a straight AC door opener. By the time you set up a low voltage control to work with the liftmaster you could just as well bought a 1/2 HP opener at Sears or a big box store with a wireless remote. And since you are a DIYer, installation would be a snap.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Sounds like this is a straight AC door opener. By the time you set up a low voltage control to work with the liftmaster you could just as well bought a 1/2 HP opener at Sears or a big box store with a wireless remote. And since you are a DIYer, installation would be a snap.
That is not an option cause I failed to mention that the garage doors are roller type - that may be why the motor is unusual. Basically the motor is inside a roller tube on the top. To convert to a usual Sears opener I would need to replace the entire door system.

So I'm still stuck - I need a way to add low voltage control to a AC motor (device) - anyone have any ideas.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
I=E/R

The typical garage door opener has a control board that controls the operation. The switch that is mounted by the door is nothing more than a door bell switch. When it is pushed it shorts the two terminals where the wires attach to this controller. Depending on the last sequence that occurred with the opener, when the button is pressed and the terminals are shorted, the door will open, or close, reverse, or just stop. This is all determined within the controller. In a way, remote controllers only simulate the pressing of the button. Look at your Liftmaster remote. Does it have an up, down, or stop button, I doubt it.
Could this be made to work, yes, but I doubt if this is the right place to find the answer.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

I agree with corsair. basically, you would need a wireless system that has multiple actions on the controller.

I would suggest checking out the operator a bit more. I would contact the manufacturer (be sure to have the model and serial number) and see if they offer a wireless remote system that can be installed.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote