Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
E2 Electrician

Share |

How NOT to hook up a generator....

Since so many questions are asked on HOW to hook one up, I wanted to share this story on how NOT to hook one up. enjoy, a good read indeed!

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....Generator.html

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Since so many questions are asked on HOW to hook one up, I wanted to share this story on how NOT to hook one up. enjoy, a good read indeed!

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....Generator.html
Never good when you let ALL the smoke out.

brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #3

I wish I had my camera with me a few years ago when camping at a nascar race. We were camping in my buddies back yard and some people camped on the other side of some friends next to us had a genny similar to the burned up one in the picture. In fact when all was done it looked like the one in the picture. Fortunatly the only damage was the genny and nothing else. The brainiack who owned it decided that it was too loud so he built a box out of 3/4" plywood to enclose it. I had to admit it was a lot quieter...so much so that I did not even know it was running over there. His first indication that something was wrong was when his lights and AC quit. About that same time I smelled something burning but could not make out where it was coming from. I figured it out pretty quick once he tipped the box off of the genny and the flames flared up. Fortunatly, I had a charged hose handy and was able knock it down pretty quickly. Needless to say, the fire chief who showed up was less than impressed.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote