Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How much are you allowed to recess a can into a drywall ceiling?

Understand wall boxes must not be recessed more than a quarter inch into drywall. Unfortunately, the recessed lighting fixture I just installed looks like it's going to be a bit over quarter inch into the drywall. Hoping the rules on these are more lenient. Please advise. Thanks.

Mi Feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

If you are only 1/4 inch above the face of the drywall-you are probably O.K.

It is easy to adjust the height of the cans---look inside the can about 1 inch up you will find three phillips head screws--loosen them a bit and wiggle the can down--then tighten them up again.--Mike--

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
Mi Feller (07-11-2010)
Old 07-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #3

Thanks Mike. Will play with it tomorrow and look for the adjusters. First try at this and working on a vaulted ceiling were a level's of minimal use. Indent seems to vary from just over quarter to under an eighth inch. However, trim piece and socket are spring mounted and have lots of slack so should be OK. Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mi Feller For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-10-2010)
Old 07-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #4

The can is 6" and within a metal frame I'd guess to be 8+" square. Currently this is positioned all the way to one side, placing frame up against a ceiling joist. Is this allowed or should I allow an inch or so of clearance from the joist?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi Feller View Post
The can is 6" and within a metal frame I'd guess to be 8+" square. Currently this is positioned all the way to one side, placing frame up against a ceiling joist. Is this allowed or should I allow an inch or so of clearance from the joist?
you can attach the frame directly to the joist if that works for you.

and the can being recessed: not going to hurt anything. Once you put the trim in there, there will be no exposed sheetrock to worry about.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
Mi Feller (07-11-2010)
Old 07-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #6

Cans have a lip that rest on the ceiling. What sort of units do you have that are recessed? If these are new construction, did you install them at the correct depth?
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 07-10-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Mi Feller (07-11-2010)
Old 07-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Cans have a lip that rest on the ceiling. What sort of units do you have that are recessed? If these are new construction, did you install them at the correct depth?
Ron
almost all of the can lights I have ever installed do not have an adjustable frame face (there have been a few oddball commercial units that defy all description and logic) You set them on the ceiling board and they are where they are. The lip on the light frame will protrude about 1/2 inch, no adjustment. If the ceiling board is thicker than that lip, it will be recessed.

The trim is what will cover the board.
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
Mi Feller (07-11-2010)
Old 07-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
almost all of the can lights I have ever installed do not have an adjustable frame face (there have been a few oddball commercial units that defy all description and logic) You set them on the ceiling board and they are where they are. The lip on the light frame will protrude about 1/2 inch, no adjustment. If the ceiling board is thicker than that lip, it will be recessed.

The trim is what will cover the board.
But what did MI feller do?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Mi Feller (07-11-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #9

Thanks and sorry for the confusion. Yes, this is a different breed of can. Called the "eyeball" type and has a light deflector which protrudes below to direct light in direction desired. You assemble deflector, socket and trim together and slide them up into can after drywall is on. A type of spring, similar to a bent coat hanger, creates a great deal of tension and pulls all this tight against the ceiling. That's why I beleive all will fit together snugly in spite of having the bottom of the can a bit over a quarter inch into the drywall and also not perfectly level.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mi Feller For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-11-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Thanks and sorry for the confusion. Yes, this is a different breed of can. Called the "eyeball" type and has a light deflector which protrudes below to direct light in direction desired. You assemble deflector, socket and trim together and slide them up into can after drywall is on. A type of spring, similar to a bent coat hanger, creates a great deal of tension and pulls all this tight against the ceiling. That's why I beleive all will fit together snugly in spite of having the bottom of the can a bit over a quarter inch into the drywall and also not perfectly level.
that is nothing different than any other can. It is just that type of trim. The base is just like many other bases.

the base should be secured on it's own without the trim being installed. If not, you will have difficulty getting the trim to be tight against the sheetrock because it is going to move when you push the trim in.

Here is a directional trim. Are you speaking of something similar?

and here is a complete unit that sounds about what you are describing.

If your lights are anything similar to that type of light, everything I said still stands.

If you remove the trim on that light, you will see a circular hole with a lip that points downward about 1/2". It will not cover all of the sheetrock it is passing through. Not designed to and it doesn't make any difference.

If you have something very difference, post the manuf and model or even better, find a picture and link it or post it.

I'm kind of lost as to what you were using a level for since you would use no level for this type of light. You slap the light on top of the sheetrock and attach it to whatever you are attaching it to. It is at an angle along with the sheetrock.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #11

Yes, nap, your picture is what I have. Ran the two support tracks between 10" ceiling joists (new construction). Moved and secured can to the side I wanted near a joist. Tried to make sure these support tracks run level between the joists and am very close. Used a piece of half inch wallboard as test spacer. Looks like when wallboard is installed the edge of the can will be about a quarter inch inside. However, the trim piece is much wider than the can and pulls snugly up to whatever surface it hits first. Can't see a problem. If the can stuck out some that would be a problem as there'd be a gap between trim and ceiling. Hope this makes sense and thank you.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

good guess, huh?

so, let's get back to the beginning.

I presume the sheetrock is not in place yet. If so, you set your light base (the large flat area) even with the joists (the bottom, where the sheetrock will attach). You can actually run a board from one joint to the next so you know where the back of the sheetrock will be. You do not attach anything to these temporary guide boards.

then of you put the boards in the right place, you can set the light right on the boards (be sure the lip on the light base is not setting on the boards as that will lift the light from where you want it to be). Then stretch your little arms (the ones on the lights, not the ones on your shoulders) to reach the joints.
If you are setting the light so the arms move parallel to the joists, you will probably have to build in some cross framing that runs from joist to joist so you can attach the little arms to them.

If it s right next to the joist, you can use that to attach to as well. Then, while the temp support boards are still in place, you tighten down the little screw that pinches the little arms so the light does not slide back and forth plus this helps make everything more rigid. I always use some self drilling self threading screws to aid that one solitary screw so it is quite solid.

Once you get the light in place and everything tight, you can remove the temp support/guide boards and you can wire the thing up and rock the ceiling. If it is very rigid, be careful when slamming the rock in place as you can bend the base due to that lip sticking into the area where there will be rock. If you have a roto zip, you can use that lip as a guide and but out on the inside of the lip and by using your fingers, pinch the light base and the rock so the lip comes into the hole.

so, when you are done, the flat plate of the base will set directly on top of the sheetrock and that lip will come into the hole but it will not come all the way through.

if that doesn't make sense, let me know and I will try again. I was typing and thinking at the same time and sometimes that doesn't work too well.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #13

nap, makes great sense. Sounds like you've done this a few times. Thanks, MIF
Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #14

I DID NOT KNOW that the plate sits directly on the drywall. As I installed mine the two sliding rods are bearing the weight and likely would be a little bit above the drywall. Other than that, I think everything will work. No, the rock's not up yet but not eager to tear it out and start over. Is it really that important or will the support rods bear the weight?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
nap, makes great sense. Sounds like you've done this a few times. Thanks, MIF
a few.

after the first couple hundred, the next several hundred are a piece of cake. After that, you tend to lose count.