How Much Wire Needed For My House? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How much wire needed for my house?

Had a lightning strike at my house and we're now getting bids for a total rewire. I'm trying to get some idea how much wire is needed so I can estimate cost for materials and labor. House is a 2950 sq/ft ranch with full unfinished basement. Currently have 200 amp main with 100 amp sub panel.

Advertisement

abylund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,266

It's a pointless exercise as the electrician's bids will be their bids and whatever you think it should cost is irrelevant. What is relevant is: how good is the electrician and what does he say he will charge you. Whatever you do don't get in the situation of you supplying materials. And pick the best electrician not the cheapest bid.

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
It's a pointless exercise as the electrician's bids will be their bids and whatever you think it should cost is irrelevant. What is relevant is: how good is the electrician and what does he say he will charge you. Whatever you do don't get in the situation of you supplying materials. And pick the best electrician not the cheapest bid.
AMEN!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,548

It will depend on the shape of the house, how many stories, appliances like dryer, range, water heater, AC etc. Labour is dependant on if house is two stories, finished or unfinished basement, ease of fishing wires. A rewire will probably much more wire than a new bare stud install. The wires need to be fished sometimes not the shortest routes.

Totally agree with above posts. You want an electrician that has experience in rewiring. It is much different than wiring new construction. An experienced electrician will make far less holes in the walls than the inexperienced.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote