Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #1

Share |

how much does it cost to wire a new house

I live in South Fla & I am looking for a rough estimate for wiring a new construction home approximately 3500 Sq ft. So that I will know if the estimates I am receiving are fare or a ripoff.

LOLISANYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
DIY staff

That's not a fair question. All 3500 foot houses are not the same---
Get three estimates---make sure they all have the same plans to bid from and the same light fixtures to price and pick the best.

Look at the 'scope of work' section of their contracts to be sure they are all offering the same level of service----are they returning to install fixtures and appliances? Brand and size of service box the same? Read ask questions and check references.

LOLISANYC (05-26-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Your question is like asking how much a car will cost. What are you buying a Kia or a Maserati?

It is not about the price, but the value you get for the money.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #4

New Construction? That means the house isn't finshed yet? Drywall is or isn't up? One story or two story? Will you have underground service or overhead? These are some of the factors that go into pricing.
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
I ask the impossible!

Basement? # bedrooms? # rooms? size of kitchen? size of electric service? What utility for appliances - gas or electric on the heating? water heating? cooking appliances? Are you doing anything like solar? anything outdoor like a pool or hot tub? Or inside? garage, if so how big, anything in particular need to be powered in the garage like a freezer?

And no offense, but how does this fit into the scope of a DIY discussion forum? Are you building this house yourself as GC with the various trades as sub-contractors or something like that?
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #6

Yup, gotta get three quotes, maybe more depending on bidders responces - ensure you are comparing apples to apples by providing clear and consistant documentation and desired scope of work to each bidder.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vsheetz For This Useful Post:
LOLISANYC (05-26-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #7

Thanks for all of your sarcasm & professionalism. If you didn't understand the question or assumed that I didn't provide enough detail one would think an intelligent reply would have been "can you provide more details i.e. etc" being this is a forum I didn't want to send a paragraph with my first post. However, by the rude & unwarranted responses I guess I should've have sent a 14 paragraph question with 25 attachements of the plans. Nevertheless, its sad that so many of you couldn't use common sense. As I posted the same question on google and was given numerous responses that provided a basis for me to weigh my decision on. BTW for the smart alecks I have 5 estimates & they are at least $3K off which I found odd therefore was looking for some guidance on how to determine which company was in the correct ball park. In any event, thanks for allowing me to see that this world is full of loosers!!!!!!!!!!
LOLISANYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLISANYC View Post
Thanks for all of your sarcasm & professionalism. If you didn't understand the question or assumed that I didn't provide enough detail one would think an intelligent reply would have been "can you provide more details i.e. etc" being this is a forum I didn't want to send a paragraph with my first post. However, by the rude & unwarranted responses I guess I should've have sent a 14 paragraph question with 25 attachements of the plans. Nevertheless, its sad that so many of you couldn't use common sense. As I posted the same question on google and was given numerous responses that provided a basis for me to weigh my decision on. BTW for the smart alecks I have 5 estimates & they are at least $3K off which I found odd therefore was looking for some guidance on how to determine which company was in the correct ball park. In any event, thanks for allowing me to see that this world is full of loosers!!!!!!!!!!
Jeeze, get a thicker skin, will ya. You are getting SO offended over some joking, what are you like in the real world?

A $3000 difference in the scope of a 3500 sq/ft house is nothing. That could be a minor difference in the bidding process.

In my world an "average" 3500 sq/ft house would be in the $20k-$25k range including a basic 200A service service.
I'm sure in Fla your price range was $12k-$15k.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLISANYC
A) we're not all pros so we don't need to be professional

B) even with your 14 paragraphs we still couldn't have given you a good idea. It's too variable.

C) you've been rude to the Nicest most helpful group of folks. Granted, we all think we're too funny for words. But as I see it you are the loser.
And.....

D) learn to spell, none of us are loose.
sirsparksalot (05-26-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Wow, what an unfounded diatribe...
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
We have another happy customer I am sure you got real good responses on Google

To the OP, you got what you paid for- get over it.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
... none of us are loose.
well, now, I wouldn't go THAT far!!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
Wire Chewer

Maybe over 9000. (Sorry, DBZ reference)

We can show you how to do it cheaper though.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #14
Scared Electrician

thats why I wear a BELT. I'm so looose my pants fall down round my ankles

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saturday Cowboy For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (05-26-2011), sirsparksalot (05-26-2011)
Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturday Cowboy View Post
thats why I wear a BELT. I'm so looose my pants fall down round my ankles
Thanks for the heads up !!