Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How many watts?

Hi all,

I have 200 amp, 4 wire, 3 phase load center. How many watts can it sustain?

I understand that wattage = amps x volts, but my panel is a 120/240v. Does that mean that I use the first number (200 x 120) or the second (200 x 240)?

Thanks.

Karlos72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

How many watts?

Quote:
but my panel is a 120/240v
Quote:
I have 200 amp, 4 wire, 3 phase load center
this is a high leg (center tapped./grounded) delta?

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #3

How many watts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap

this is a high leg (center tapped./grounded) delta?
Honestly I don't know, nor do I know how to find out, but it would be very helpful to find out the wattage in any case.

Thanks Nap.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

How many watts?

why do you need to know the wattage?

do you have a volt meter? If so, check all 3 legs to neutral for voltage and let us know what you get.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #5

How many watts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap
why do you need to know the wattage?

do you have a volt meter? If so, check all 3 legs to neutral for voltage and let us know what you get.

I don't have a volt meter, but I'll try to find one and let you know. For educational reasons can you explain or refer me to why a high leg delta affects the result?

I'm trying to figure out how many watts my qo430l200 lug load center can sustain.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

How many watts?

The total wattage will depending on the triphase system if you have wye system you can have much as 72,000 watts but with delta system it will depending on how many three phase load and single phase load so it will varies from 48,000 to 72,000 watts again the best is to verify the system voltage.

If you have wye you will read 120 from line to netual on all phases or 208 phase to phase

If you have delta system you will read 120 volts netual to phase A and phase C but if you read the netural to phase B or wild leg spot it will read 208 volts and all the line to line will read 240 volts allthe way.

And just want to give you a head up to deal with three phase system is little more tricky than single phase system will be and I feel it will be wiser to have a electrician to come in and help you on this one. and the electrician can able verify the conductor sizing to make sure they are legit on it.

There are so many detals to cover on delta system { I will save it until the time to explain then we will cover little more on that }

Merci,
Marc

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 04-23-2011 at 11:52 PM.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

How many watts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos72 View Post
I don't have a volt meter, but I'll try to find one and let you know. For educational reasons can you explain or refer me to why a high leg delta affects the result?

I'm trying to figure out how many watts my qo430l200 lug load center can sustain.
first, we need to step backwards a moment. You can calculate volt amps without knowing the load which will happen to equal watts when the load has a 100% power factor but if your load has less than a 100% PF, VA and watts will not be the same.

anyway, simple calculations

KILOVOLT-AMPERES (kVA)(single phase) = (VOLTS x AMPERES)/1000

KILOVOLT-AMPERES (kVA) = (VOLTS x AMPERES x 1.73)/1000

KILOWATT (kW) = (VOLTS x AMPERES x POWER FACTOR)/1000

KILOWATT (kW) = (VOLTS x AMPERES x POWER FACTOR x 1.73)/1000

realize that if you use all 120 volt loads, you only have 2 legs of 120 volt power available.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #8

How many watts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican
The total wattage will depending on the triphase system if you have wye system you can have much as 72,000 watts but with delta system it will depending on how many three phase load and single phase load so it will varies from 48,000 to 72,000 watts again the best is to verify the system voltage.

If you have wye you will read 120 from line to netual on all phases or 208 phase to phase

If you have delta system you will read 120 volts netual to phase A and phase C but if you read the netural to phase B or wild leg spot it will read 208 volts and all the line to line will read 240 volts allthe way.

And just want to give you a head up to deal with three phase system is little more tricky than single phase system will be and I feel it will be wiser to have a electrician to come in and help you on this one. and the electrician can able verify the conductor sizing to make sure they are legit on it.

There are so many detals to cover on delta system { I will save it until the time to explain then we will cover little more on that }

Merci,
Marc
The range you gave me is a good as answer I needed. I will certainly talk o an electrician, but now I have a basic understanding of what I'm dealing with.

Thanks Frenchelectrician!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #9
" Euro " electrician

How many watts?

Pas de problme. { not a problem }

But this three phase load centre is that in the home or that is in the commercal building ?? if latter then you will have to deal with electrician to help you with this matter due the codes will varies a bit.

For resdentail the older area I know few spots did use the old 4 wire Delta system but here a kicker some may have open 4 wire delta system so that will get tricky to figure out the load.

But for newer area they are typically found in very large home or home with detached workshop building most POCO will provide wye connection they are getting rid of delta system due for safety reason.

Merci.
Marc
Old 04-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #10

How many watts?

Quote:
Pas de problme. { not a problem }

But this three phase load centre is that in the home or that is in the commercal building ?? if latter then you will have to deal with electrician to help you with this matter due the codes will varies a bit.

For resdentail the older area I know few spots did use the old 4 wire Delta system but here a kicker some may have open 4 wire delta system so that will get tricky to figure out the load.

But for newer area they are typically found in very large home or home with detached workshop building most POCO will provide wye connection they are getting rid of delta system due for safety reason.

Merci.
Marc
I'm in Washington, DC. This is both a residential and commecial building. In fact, my building has two really old 30amp meters that were connected to the apartments and one new 200 amp meter connected to the restaurant. The load center I'm referring to is connected to the 200 amp meter. I will speak to an electrician next week. I'm wondering if I need to heavy up to 400 amps for the restaurant even though all my major appliances ( water heater, ranges, fryers, broilers, griddles, etc) are fueled by gas.

Merci boucoup!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
" Euro " electrician

How many watts?

My best answer is get the electrician to come out and they will help with it.

As far for 200 amp for your restanant IMO it may be little light side depending on what the exsting load there most resturant I have ran into most will run 400 amp or larger but small restanunts may get by with 200 amp triphase but not 200 amp single phase { that will max out pretty fast if not carefull }

Merci,
Marc
Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

How many watts?

you need to calculate your loads to see where you stand.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #13
" Euro " electrician

How many watts?

How big this place is ??

Even thru I know you mention most of your appalice are running on gaz supply but do you have big exhaust fan hood ? walk in cooler ? few other variations to add to the list?

the quick way is give the sq footage one way or other we will try something unseen to see if this work.

Do you have alot of light in dinning room or what ?

Merci,
Marc
Old 04-24-2011, 12:58 AM   #14

How many watts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap
you need to calculate your loads to see where you stand.
That makes good sense. I assume that I can base the calculations on total wattage my equipment will use times a load factor?

Thanks Nap.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:01 AM   #15

How many watts?

Quote:
My best answer is get the electrician to come out and they will help with it.

As far for 200 amp for your restanant IMO it may be little light side depending on what the exsting load there most resturant I have ran into most will run 400 amp or larger but small restanunts may get by with 200 amp triphase but not 200 amp single phase { that will max out pretty fast if not carefull }

Merci,
Marc
Yes, I'm certain that I will be running really tight. I do have three phase power, so I hope I can get away with it. My really big power consumer will be HVAC and cumulative lighting needs.