Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How many romex through a drilled stud hole?

I have looked through NEC to get a definite answer, but is there a limit to haw many cables can go through a drilled hole.. like 40% of the space? as many as you can fit? I know you can put more than one because the wiring done to my place allready by a sparky passed?

I kow this is a second question but i also wonderd if you can connect FMC to hard pipe of same size w/o a juncion box as long as the wires are not split. ( i might be able to use my scrap offFMC left)..and yes i an using thhn not romex in conduit

Thanks ahead!

1488rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

yes, you can connect fmc to a pipe of the same size as long as you use proper fittings.

they also make fmc couplings as well if that would help you. They used to send one with every roll of fmc.

the the NM in a hole: no more than will fit

wait for one of the resi guys to answer that one. I tend to stay away from NM like it has cooties.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerup26 View Post
I usually do no more than 3 wires in a 1.5" drilled hole. Inspectors frown upon anymore than that.
In the US you cannot drill a 1.5" hole in a 2x4 without using nail plates at every hole. You need to keep a 1.25" distance from the edge of the hole to the edge of the stud.

And your inspectors are just enforcing their own rules here. There is NO such rule in the NEC.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyna View Post
so you'll need three holes in each stud.,
Based on what????
Old 03-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1488rob View Post
I have looked through NEC to get a definite answer, but is there a limit to haw many cables can go through a drilled hole.. like 40% of the space? as many as you can fit? I know you can put more than one because the wiring done to my place allready by a sparky passed?
Even with the most stringent bundling rules, you can have up to four cables sized #14, #12 or #10 in pretty much any drilled hole before you have to worry about derating.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Useally 4 cable is max per hole all it depending on cable size as well the 2.5mm˛ or 4.0mm˛ useally not a issue but 6.0mm˛ is right on borderline and typically 2 the most.

Merci.
Marc

2.5mm˛= 14 awg
4.0mm˛= 12 awg
6.0mm˛= 10 awg
Old 03-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks! I was guessing is was common sense as I couldnt find it anywhere under romex in NEC. why i was asking is that thte first guy drilled a small hole..like 1/2' why?? willnever know.. so since holes cant be closer than 2' together i am going to have to fit more wire through 2 1' holes.. in the limited space under the buss panel
1488rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #8
Learning by Doing

For your own sake label each wire on both sides of the holes. Nothing is more frustrating to me than more than one NM run through a hole and not being able to QUICKLY tell which is which.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1488rob View Post
Thanks! I was guessing is was common sense as I couldnt find it anywhere under romex in NEC. why i was asking is that thte first guy drilled a small hole..like 1/2' why?? willnever know.. so since holes cant be closer than 2' together i am going to have to fit more wire through 2 1' holes.. in the limited space under the buss panel
You didn't say what you are drilling holes in but if it is 2x4s then the reason the "first guy" used a 1/2" drill is so he didn't have to use plates. The edge of a hole cannot be closer than 1 1/4" to the edge of a stud unless protection is provided. I don't know where you are getting that holes cannot be closer than 2 feet or do you mean 2 inches.

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote