Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2005, 09:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How many recepticles

How many recepticles can be installed on a 30AMP circuit, 12/2 wired from breaker to recepticles?

Also, what size ground wire is used for grounding a 30 AMP circuit - In from main panel to sub-panel with 10/3 and out from sub panel breaker to lights and recepticles with 12/2?

Thanks

Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 540

How many recepticles

There's no such thing as a 30Amp single pole breaker, so your question is not really valid. On any breaker though, there's no limit (under NEC...local codes may vary) to the number of rec.'s you can put on one circuit. A more important question back to you would be: How much LOAD will be on these X number of rec.'s? As long as it's less than 24 constant drawn amps, you're OK.

EDIT: OHHHHHH, out of a subpanel...I guess the answer is the same basically. It's more important to calculate the load rather than the quantity of rec.'s.

Ignore the part about "no such thing as a 30A single pole breaker"....I should read closer...sorry:o

Last edited by jproffer; 12-13-2005 at 09:59 AM.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,248

How many recepticles

The answer is NONE. You can not use a 30 amp circuit to suplly 15 or 20 amp recepitcles. 15 and 20 amp recepicles can only be installed on a 15 or 20 amp breaker, depending on wire size.
The 10/3 will have a ground wire, so that answers that question. The 12/2 will also have a ground wire, so that question is answered.
JP they do make 30 amp single pole breakers and larger.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:02 PM   #4

How many recepticles

Quote:
The answer is NONE
When I said it was unlimited, I was assuming (I know I shouldn't), after re-reading the original post, that he was feeding a subpanel with a 2 pole 30A breaker, and would be using 15 or 20A breakers to feed standard 15 or 20A rec.'s.

Quote:
JP they do make 30 amp single pole breakers and larger.
News to me...and good to know. What on earth, though, would you need one for?? Just out of curiousity.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:54 PM   #5
World famous jerk.

Rewards Points: 250

How many recepticles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer
News to me...and good to know. What on earth, though, would you need one for?? Just out of curiousity.
Some sizes of motors, certain travel trailer feeders, one and two burner cooktops.... among others. It's a seldom used breaker, but I carry at least one on the truck. I have a single pole 70 for some reason at the shop that I picked up one time for somthing, but I apparently forgot to go back to that job. It's been years.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:14 PM   #6

How many recepticles

There's my "something new" to learn today...thanks MD and JB. A 70A single pole breaker...hmmmmmmm ..interesting.

OK that brings something to mind...Can you use a higher amp breaker (not so much the 70, but maybe the 30) to power 15 or 20A rec.'s as long as you have at least 2...or maybe 3 on a circuit...or is it against code no matter how many you have?

What brings this question up in my mind is the fact that you can use a 20A to power 15A rec.'s, provided you have at least 2 on a circuit.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:25 AM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,248

How many recepticles

That was the reason for my answer of none to the first post. He wanted to know how many he could put on a 30 amp breaker. 15/20 amp recepticle are limited by code to be installed on 15/20 amp breakers.
I think I have a 50 amp single pole, but like MD, forgot where it was going. I have never used a single pole larger than 40, but it was not in a home.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

How many recepticles

The short answer : No you can't jproffer.

Sportbilly is offline   Reply With Quote