Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

How Many Receptacles on a 20amp circuit?

Is there a code-limit on how many receptacles can be on a 20 amp circuit? This is for one bathroom and one adjacent room. The circuit would also have 2 fan/light units that draw just over 3amps. All 12 gauge has been used. Thanks for any help!

gfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bathroom receptacles have to be on their own circuit. You can have multiple bathroom outlets on the same circuit.

Or you can have the entire bathroom (outlets, lighting/fan) on one 20A circuit, but that 20A circuit would only be allowed to power that bathroom, not multiple bathrooms.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Bathroom receptacles have to be on their own circuit. You can have multiple bathroom outlets on the same circuit.

Or you can have the entire bathroom (outlets, lighting/fan) on one 20A circuit, but that 20A circuit would only be allowed to power that bathroom, not multiple bathrooms.

It is only for one bathroom but also for a den. Is that OK? If yes, how many recepticles is allowed?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Licensed Electrician

No, bathroom outlets cannot share a circuit with rooms other than bathrooms.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

in this situation your best bet might be to use the 20a circuit for the bathroom receptacles and pull a new 15a or 20a circuit for the den (lights and receptacles) and the bathroom light/fan.

there are generally no limits to the number of receptacles that can be placed on a circuit in a US residential application. However, circuits with bath receptacles can only handle bath loads.

Incidentially, to expand on bath loads, a 20a circuit can serve bath receptacles (only) in multiple bathrooms or the lights, fan and receptacles in one bath only.

I suggest reading the code chapter on receptacles. it is easy to read and covers all the required and not allowed receptacle rules (kitchen and bath are the hardest)

Your bath receptacle must be GFCI protected
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #6

Quote:
No, bathroom outlets cannot share a circuit with rooms other than bathrooms.
Is this a newer code? Our house built in 96 has shared rooms with bathroom outlets.... but not multiple bathrooms on the same circuit.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Licensed Electrician

I'm pretty sure that in '96 it was code that bathroom receptacles had to be on their own circuit. I started in the electrical trade in '97 and it was code then, but there is no telling what code cycle your area was under and I don't know the exact year it was mandated by the NEC.

The exception that 1 20A circuit could power 1 entire bathroom came about later.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp22 View Post
in this situation your best bet might be to use the 20a circuit for the bathroom receptacles and pull a new 15a or 20a circuit for the den (lights and receptacles) and the bathroom light/fan.

there are generally no limits to the number of receptacles that can be placed on a circuit in a US residential application. However, circuits with bath receptacles can only handle bath loads.

Incidentially, to expand on bath loads, a 20a circuit can serve bath receptacles (only) in multiple bathrooms or the lights, fan and receptacles in one bath only.

I suggest reading the code chapter on receptacles. it is easy to read and covers all the required and not allowed receptacle rules (kitchen and bath are the hardest)

Your bath receptacle must be GFCI protected
Thanks. Where do I find the code book to read this info?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
Licensed Electrician

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are doing your own wiring, you need to educate yourself on the basic residential codes. You should be able to find a basic DIY electrical book at any home improvement retailer.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are doing your own wiring, you need to educate yourself on the basic residential codes. You should be able to find a basic DIY electrical book at any home improvement retailer.
Thanks. Yes I have one and I have electrical backgorund but it was long ago...
Old 05-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

I agree with Kbuz. Education is key and you dont want to learn by trial and error. Its expensive and dangerous.

The book i was referring to is the poket guide to residential electrical installations, available from amazon. in addition, as kbuz mentioned, you should get a how to wiring book that covers tools and techniques in addition to codes.

Also, there is never any harm in calling a pro.
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #12

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that in '96 it was code that bathroom receptacles had to be on their own circuit. I started in the electrical trade in '97 and it was code then, but there is no telling what code cycle your area was under and I don't know the exact year it was mandated by the NEC.

The exception that 1 20A circuit could power 1 entire bathroom came about later.
In one of our bathrooms, the GFI is in the laundry room that feeds the bathroom. It is a 15amp circuit. In another bathroom, the GFI is in the garage, also a 15 amp circuit. Is it different for 20 amp circuits?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,504

You didn't post your location. Rules in Canada are different than rules in USA.
IN CANADA
The limit is 12 outlets(lights, receptacles, fans, etc.) per circuit. The bathroom can be on a circuit with other rooms but still has the 12 outlet rule. Lighting MUST be on a 15 amp circuit.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
You didn't post your location. Rules in Canada are different than rules in USA.
IN CANADA
The limit is 12 outlets(lights, receptacles, fans, etc.) per circuit. The bathroom can be on a circuit with other rooms but still has the 12 outlet rule. Lighting MUST be on a 15 amp circuit.
Thanks. I'm in Florida - which is like a country all of its own!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

Florida is not a country of its own. Your answer to how many receptacles on a 20 amp. As many as you want. If you want a hundred, you can put that many on there. The real question that you should be asking, is what is the maximum amount of wattage that you can load a circuit, not how many receptacles.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote