How Many Outlets Do You Recommend On 15A Circuit? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

how many outlets do you recommend on 15A circuit?

I've read enough to know that there is no hard and fast limit on the number of outlets on a single (residential) circuit. But, I've got one 15A circuit with about 15 outlets and another 5 lights. Most of the outlets are not used, and the ones that are, are only lightly loaded (all of the big stuff is on other circuits). But, it still seems excessive to me. What do you think?

Btw, this situation apparently exists due to rodent damage to the wiring (long before we moved in). It looks like one circuit went dead when a rat chewed thru the romex (that must've been exciting) and the dead circuit (not the rat) ultimately got connected to another live circuit. Anyways, there is an unused wire (currently wired for 240V, but I could change it) that could be used to split up the circuit. I'm just wondering how big of a deal this is, since I've always got more projects on the "to do" list than I can finish. Thanks.

Advertisement

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD View Post
Anyways, there is an unused wire (currently wired for 240V, but I could change it) that could be used to split up the circuit. I'm just wondering how big of a deal this is, since I've always got more projects on the "to do" list than I can finish. Thanks.
So you want to turn it into a MWBC and split it off for two circuits? Does it have two hots a neutral and a ground? You will also have to make sure the breaker feeding it is rated for the smallest wire gauge being used on the circuit.

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
So you want to turn it into a MWBC and split it off for two circuits? Does it have two hots a neutral and a ground? You will also have to make sure the breaker feeding it is rated for the smallest wire gauge being used on the circuit.
No, not a MWBC---got enough of them already. There is an unused circuit available, but it would be a bit of work to tap into it.

In any case, I'm just wondering if there is any sort of "rule of thumb" as to how many outlets you'd ordinarily put on one circuit. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

I think there is but I don't know it. You can't do anything with that 240 line unless you turn it into a MWBC.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,210

There is no problem. Don't make one.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brric For This Useful Post:
a7ecorsair (03-02-2012), Code05 (03-03-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #6

Quote:
I think there is but I don't know it. You can't do anything with that 240 line unless you turn it into a MWBC.
The 240v has 14/2 wire, and was used to power an electric baseboard heater (recently removed and discarded). It's pretty easy to convert to 120v by simply moving the white wire to the neutral bar---I've already done one of these conversions in a different part of the house.

Anyways, the question I have is whether it is a good idea to have, say, 2 circuits, each with about 10 outlets, as opposed to 1 with 20. It seems to me that 20 is a lot. But, if this is relatively normal, I'll leave it alone.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
There is no problem. Don't make one.
Thanks. That's 1 vote for "do nothing," which is among my favorite things to do...
Old 03-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD View Post
The 240v has 14/2 wire, and was used to power an electric baseboard heater (recently removed and discarded). It's pretty easy to convert to 120v by simply moving the white wire to the neutral bar---I've already done one of these conversions in a different part of the house.

Anyways, the question I have is whether it is a good idea to have, say, 2 circuits, each with about 10 outlets, as opposed to 1 with 20. It seems to me that 20 is a lot. But, if this is relatively normal, I'll leave it alone.
If you are not tripping breakers I would leave it alone.

You could just convert that to 120 and put an outlet there. I thought maybe you had xx-3 wire. That would make use of the wire instead of snipping it off.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 170

Just from a convenience standpoint, it would be better if the circuit was split. Because if you ever have to shut it off for some reason, that disables a lot of the receptacles in your house. However, there is no limit in the NEC. (Canada is another story...) I'll throw in with the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" crowd. Put it on your list of things to do if you ever need to open the wall up.
fa_f3_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
If you are not tripping breakers I would leave it alone.

You could just convert that to 120 and put an outlet there. I thought maybe you had xx-3 wire. That would make use of the wire instead of snipping it off.
When we first moved in, the breaker was tripping on occasion. Back then, we had to use some electric space heaters---now we've got a pellet stove (on a different circuit) so that's not an issue. I also put in a new outlet so that the television/game systems are on a different circuit. The way we use it, there shouldn't be any problem tripping the breaker.

I'll eventually convert the 240 to 120 (actually, I've got 2 of them), but for the time being, I've got bigger fish to fry.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa_f3_20 View Post
Just from a convenience standpoint, it would be better if the circuit was split. Because if you ever have to shut it off for some reason, that disables a lot of the receptacles in your house. However, there is no limit in the NEC. (Canada is another story...) I'll throw in with the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" crowd. Put it on your list of things to do if you ever need to open the wall up.
Thanks. Coincidentally, the drywall is off in several places at the moment---I'm in the destruction phase of a couple of projects. So, from that perspective, this might actually be a good time to consider tackling it...

Advertisement