How Many Lights And Outlets On One Breaker - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How many lights and outlets on one breaker

Considering adding 6 recessed lights in my bed room. My bed room and the guest room are all on one breaker. Is it ok to daisy chain off the ceiling light to add the 6 recessed lights? Don't want to over load anything

Advertisement

Jaosnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

are you in the US or Canada. In the US, you are only limited by the load on the circuit. In Canada, there is a limited number of outlets (don't know what it is though)

start with adding up the possible (max) wattage of all the lights currently on the circuit. Then calculate the intended load.

then, if you have a 15 amp circuit, if your total load exceeds 1440 watts, I would add a circuit from the panel.

if a 20 amp circuit, if it exceeds 1920 watts, you need another circuit.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morepower666 View Post
Aww nap youve changed your stance on this? Youve said plenty of times before it doesnt matter how many outlets on a circuit. Hmmmm conflicting advice!
I didn't change anything. I said in the US count is irrelevant. Only in Canada is count relevant and that is exactly what I said. You have something to show I have said anything contrary?

there is a difference between calculated load and outlet count.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morepower666 View Post
Yea I wouldnt put more than 10 outlets on a circuit. You dont know what a homeowner will have plugged in on that circuit in the future. Vaccums?tvs?treadmills?vibrators? I dont like your logical thinking. You need.to wire with.the future in mind. All you seem to care about is put as much as you want on a circuit and screw the future homeowner. Id hate to live in a house wired by a thick headed helper as you seem to be.
I see. You are one of the many ****** that got banned before for starting arguments.

the OP didn't say anything about GP receptacles. From what I see, he was speaking about lighting only.

I will agree that if that one circuit also feeds the receps, he needs to take that into consideration but hey, maybe it's just this thick headed journeyman electrician that thinks putting lights and receps on the same circuit is simply poor execution of work.

and if you ever saw my work, you would realize I install with the future in mind. I have never been accused of under supplying power.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

"Thick-headed helper"?? Wow. That kind of personal attack is un-called for. If you have a different opinion, please share it, but leave the name calling behind.

I'm new to this forum and appreciate folks taking the time to respond to questions from humble DIYers like myself. Flaming posts aren't helpful, so how about we all just try to get along? Thank you.
lesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morepower666
Yea I wouldnt put more than 10 outlets on a circuit. You dont know what a homeowner will have plugged in on that circuit in the future. Vaccums?tvs?treadmills?vibrators? I dont like your logical thinking. You need.to wire with.the future in mind. All you seem to care about is put as much as you want on a circuit and screw the future homeowner. Id hate to live in a house wired by a thick headed helper as you seem to be.
Is that you powerup26? Back again under a new account after having been kicked off the site?
clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,482

There appears to be some deleted posts making the thread look strange..
In Canada the limit is 12 outlets(lights, fans, receptacles, etc.) per circuit. Lighting is only permitted on 15 amp circuits.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,022

To me, whether there are 2 or 20 outlets on a circuit is somewhat immaterial as a homeowner could plug two high demand appliances into the two outlets overloading the circuit or a 5 watt nightlight into the 20 outlets and not come close to overloading the circuit. I guess Canada's 10-12 spec is a compromise of average demand.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote