How Many Cables In A Hole? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 544

How many cables in a hole?

I am replacing old cable and putting things on their own circuit etc, so I am in attic drilling holes in the top plate over the main panel. I do not want to drill too many holes in the 2 x 4, so I am wondering how many 12 ga. cables I can pull through one drilled 1" hole. Some of the holes appear to be only 3/4".

Advertisement

crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,800

Not sure what code says but I wouldn't do more than 2. More holes won't hurt anything.

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 596

Bottom line is you can have up to four cables in a hole before you have to worry about anything.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-26-2015), gregzoll (03-24-2015), ront02769 (03-26-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Not sure what code says but I wouldn't do more than 2. More holes won't hurt anything.

The main panel is in the wall and the cables are coming up into the attic via two 2 x 4 top plates. I am concerned about putting holes in these top plates. Won't his weaken the 2 x 4s?

I have encountered this concern before.
crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 3,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post
The main panel is in the wall and the cables are coming up into the attic via two 2 x 4 top plates. I am concerned about putting holes in these top plates. Won't his weaken the 2 x 4s?

I have encountered this concern before.
Only if you drill one continuous hole from one end to the other. You are over thinking this. Just make sure when you drill, that you are not going to drill into any electrical wiring on the other side.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Bottom line is you can have up to four cables in a hole before you have to worry about anything.

Speedy, as I recall from my 2014 code class, the instructor said only 2 cables per hole were now allowed. Offhand I don't know the section in the book.

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElectricianTV View Post
Speedy, as I recall from my 2014 code class, the instructor said only 2 cables per hole were now allowed. Offhand I don't know the section in the book.
This two cable limit is not accurate. After two you need to start derating. He is talking about the last sentence in 334.80.
With #14, 12 & 10 you do not need to worry about derating until you get to nine current carrying conductors, hence the four cable number. Neutrals of a multi-wire branch circuit do not count as CCC's.
240.4(D) limits the ampacity of #14, 12 & 10 considerably, and since we can derate newer NM cable from the 90 deg C column you get quite a difference between the two.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (03-25-2015), MrElectricianTV (03-25-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 06:24 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 445

A 1" hole can easily take 4 wires of 12 or 14 or combination. We do it all the time, no inspectors ever said a word about it. 1" is a good size hole and 4 wires fit very loosely.
sparky90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky90 View Post
A 1" hole can easily take 4 wires of 12 or 14 or combination. We do it all the time, no inspectors ever said a word about it. 1" is a good size hole and 4 wires fit very loosely.
1" is a bit close with 2x4 framing. You don't have much room for being off center and staying legal.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,602

Not being an electrician, will nail plates take care of that off-center hole? Or is there yet another chunk of code covering drilling??

To the OP, don't think of taking a chunk of two bye four, supporting it over two others, drilling a bunch of holes in it and jumping up and down in the middle of it. Think instead of the overall load distribution of what is on top of it, the distance between supports and the strength of two boards them selves. Different story. ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 3,872

ront02769, that is why new construction you will see the main wiring trunk using 2x6 framing, so you can get around the issue with 2x4's.

You cannot use nailers, because the holes would be through the bottom & top plates. As for Vertical strength, you could just double the joists on either side, to help strengthen the area that would be pretty much cut away if it is a large amount of Romex.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:12 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,602

Missing your point. The metal nailing plate would go against the edge of the two bye plate keeping sheet rock screws etc. from hitting the wire.. That's how I've seen it done in residential work...but perhaps there is a specific guide that tells you where you. Can and cannot drill holes in two byes....like that six inch bye six inch prohibited space in the web at each bearing end of an i-joist?
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #13
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,474

Nail plates are used any time the minimum 1.25" clearance cannot be maintained.

Advertisement

Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote