Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How many amps for sub pannel?

Question: my house has 200 amp service at the main panel. I only have 2 single or 1 double slot open. Having a pool installed so they will use what's left or may need more then what's there. Would like a sub panel for the guys to use and keep future openings if needed.

Figure I should use the last 2 slots for a breaker to control the sub panel. What amp should that be? 50 or 100? The pool will need 220v for the pump and 110v for other equipment. Also what gauge and type wire between the to?

I know this should be left to a pro, I was planning on buying and having the electrician the pool company hired install.

Thanks

Olcrazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olcrazy1 View Post
Question: my house has 200 amp service at the main panel. I only have 2 single or 1 double slot open. Having a pool installed so they will use what's left or may need more then what's there. Would like a sub panel for the guys to use and keep future openings if needed.

Figure I should use the last 2 slots for a breaker to control the sub panel. What amp should that be? 50 or 100? The pool will need 220v for the pump and 110v for other equipment. Also what gauge and type wire between the to?

I know this should be left to a pro, I was planning on buying and having the electrician the pool company hired install.
Thanks
It would depend on how many amps the pump and other equipment uses. But you probably new that. Then multiply by 1.25 and round up to the nearest circuit breaker size. Watts divided by volts = amps

Last edited by Robpo; 06-14-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Robpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #3

Quote:
I know this should be left to a pro,

Thanks
good idea.

if you want to get him a panel.
Be nice if they had more spaces but they're good.

Intermatic.

you will have what in pool area. filter, booster,spa blower,heat,pool lighting interior exterior ???
Attached Thumbnails
How many amps for sub pannel?-intermatic.jpg  
ritelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #4

The intermatic I suggest should go outside by your pool equipment.
It will give you excess to the circuits you need right there and also satisfy
disconnection means for motors rather than bringing several circuits back to the main service area.

Also, would be best to feed this pool panel directly from your main service panel.

If you need additional space at your main service, add another sub off that main panel also.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #5

your equipment will mainly be running at 240v,
you should be good with a 30 amp feeder.
(As long as any heater you might put in isn't electric)

40-50-60 wouldn't hurt, depending on what you want to do in the future.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
E2 Electrician

What size and type pool? Above ground, underground? Lights, heat, how many pumps? And the list goes on.... And I wouldn't waste your time buying any of this material, You won't be doing anyone any favors.
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
jbfan (06-15-2014), Jim Port (06-15-2014), ritelec (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #7

Underground 16x34. 220v pentair 1 hp pump, gas heater, led low voltage light and timer. I bought a small 8 slot box rated to 125 amps and a 60 amp breaker for main to power sub. If electrician uses it great, if not he can use what what he wants and I will return it. I just know he needs more than the last 2 slots I currently have available in the main panel.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2

Typically pool electricians are the bottom of the barrel as far as electrician go. The pool business is all about cutting cost and installing a pool as cheap as possible and one place they save money is with the electrical.

I threw the pool companies electrical contractor off my pool install, when I explained I was installing a sub-panel in the pool house and he asked what a sub-panel is.

Good Luck
Know A Little is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #9

An electrician didn't know what a sub panel was.

Bottom feeders.

Typically how is any of that smuje that came out of your mouth answering the op question.

By the way. Everybody tries getting the lowest price. Not just pool guys.

And I have three pools coming up and will be using sub panels. Typically. And I'm not a bottom feeder
Old 06-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Underground 16x34. 220v pentair 1 hp pump, gas heater, led low voltage light and timer. I bought a small 8 slot box rated to 125 amps and a 60 amp breaker for main to power sub. If electrician uses it great, if not he can use what what he wants and I will return it. I just know he needs more than the last 2 slots I currently have available in the main panel.
Being honest the electrician will probably bring his own materials. Just the way its done.

My advise is always have the pool done by a pro. If you truly understand electricity you can do a sub panel. However a pool cant fail. I hear to many accidents of pools becoming electrified and such.
Jump-start is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
An electrician didn't know what a sub panel was.

Bottom feeders.

Typically how is any of that smuje that came out of your mouth answering the op question.

By the way. Everybody tries getting the lowest price. Not just pool guys.

And I have three pools coming up and will be using sub panels. Typically. And I'm not a bottom feeder
Nobody said you were a bottom feeder.

In MY AREA typically the folks that do pools are bottom feeders. Your area may be different.

And there is a difference between a low price and hack work, having inspected many pools the work boarders on hack.
Know A Little is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #12

The electrician the pool company hired is a good company been in business a long time and done many projects around here. I know the pool will be bonded (whatever that means) and the it will all be done to code. I was just trying to save the guy a trip since he doesn't know that I only have 2 open slots. I want a sub panel so that I have extra open slits when this is all done. Anyhow I will back off and let the the electrician handle it and just tell him what I want. The pool company is paying the bill so I just want to make sure he is not cutting corners to save them money.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
Watts divided by volts = amps
That's only true for DC and purely resistive AC. If you have a pump (which he will), then the formula won't work. A more accurate guess would be to multiply the Amps derived from your formula by 1.25. The fewer resistive items on the circuit (heaters, incandescent lights, etc.) and the more inductive items (motors, mostly), the more Amps you'll get per Watt.

Without knowing the load characteristics - power factor is the actual name for the missing variable - there is no way to accurately calculate AC Amps knowing only Watts and Volts.

Watts = Amps * Volts * power factor

My example multiplier in the first paragraph (1.25) assumes a power factor of 0.8.

If you want to search the internet for a more detailed explanation, I would think "power triangle" (with quotes) in Google would get you several likely sites.

Wino is offline   Reply With Quote