Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #1

Share |

How many 20 amp lines for 3 recepticals in kitchen island

I have a 9x4 kitchen island that was installed, and I roughed in 3 locations for recepticals. 1 receptical on either side of the island (9' apart) and one where the bar fridge will be.

I fully expect to have GFCI plug installed on the side closest to the small prep sink, and plan to daisy chain that down to the wine fridge plug. The main line comes up through the floor into the remaining plug, then daisy chain over to GFCI plug. Not sure if that's right, but plan on an electrician to hookup.

When I called an electrician to quote the final hookup, he said I would need to run an addtional 20amp line since I'm only allowed 2 recepticals on the line for the island and I have 3 plugs. Is that an accurate need (live in Ajax, Ontario, Canada)?

I'm not against running an additional main line (even though it would be PITA), but seems overkill to add some plugs and support a small wine fridge.

jhakkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
Master Electrician

No two conveinience plugs side by side in the kitchen can be on the same circuit. The electrician is correct.

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
No two conveinience plugs side by side in the kitchen can be on the same circuit. The electrician is correct.
Please provide a code article for this. Thanks!
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
JOATMON

Maybe it's a Canadian thing......Aye

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
electures (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #5

Canada does require that duplex receptacles for the kitchen counters be split with separate branch circuits serving the halves. But it would make sense although I am not sure whether two pairs of receptacles could be juxtaposed at the first location using GFCI receptacle units. Then separate continuing cables, protected from each GFCI's load terminals, would be daisy chained to the remaining outlet boxes, each box with one regular duplex receptacle unit with split halves.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Maybe it's a Canadian thing......Aye
Missed that. Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
Master Electrician

We can use two pole 15a gfci breakers's or 20a singles. Two circuits minimum. No two side by side on same circuit. They can't run anything but counter appliance circuits and they can't be mounted face up in the counter. Fridge needs to be seperate except for a single receptacle can be tapped off for a clock. There's distance requirements as well but I can't remember them off the top of my head.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #8

Thanks Everyone!

I am obviously not an electrician, but know enough to be able to drill through joists and run the wire before the pro comes in to finish.

I've attached a diagram with how I've currently "wired" the island, but I could use some advice to rerun the wire so I don't have to do this again.

I've currently run 12/2 romex into the island according to the diagram, but if I have to pull it out and run an additional line, I may use the line I ran and instead use it to install a receptical for a chest freezer in my basement (wife loves to remind me we don't have plugs down there). That way I can run 2 new lines to the island through new joist holes I have to drill (unless there's alternate ways the island can be wired considering 3 plugs)?

For any suggested method for the island, what materials should I buy? Is 12/2 still ok? What breaker for the panel? etc? Depending upon the method to wire, I may just drill the joists and let the electrician pull the wire himself.

I'm just trying to save myself a bit of cash and do some of the heavy lifting myself. Good practice for a basement reno I have planned next year!
Attached Thumbnails
How many 20 amp lines for 3 recepticals in kitchen island-kitchen-island-electrical.jpg  
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
Master Electrician

You actually need two or three circuits depending on what the inspector considers a fridge for the purposes of a dedicated fridge line. No point on a counter can be further than 900mm from a plug, that's roughly 36 inches. So you need a general use plug in the center of the island as well. The two outside plugs can be on the same circuit and the center on its own. The fridge may be allowed to tie into this circuit but I doubt it.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #10
Lic Electrical Inspector

I default to Andrew.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Master Electrician

For once I don't have to guess at code I think they may allow two receptacles if you were to move your receptacle in from each end so that no point is further than 900mm from a receptacle but the would be the inspectors call.

Last edited by andrew79; 10-23-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #12

I know that I am butting in here, but it seems like a good place to ask what the logic is behind regulations about what receptacles should be powered in what pattern (every other etc.). Unless the homeowner is aware and pays attention to what is plugged into what circuit it seems unlikely that any set pattern is more likely than another to prevent overloads and tripping. All in all, if only two circuits are going to be used in a kitchen the Canadian system would seem to be the easiest to keep track of with top and bottom of the duplexes consistently on different circuits.
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #13

Plug on the far left is for me to plug in my laptop when I work in the kitchen.

Plug on the far right is for my wife to plug in a mixer or other small kitchen appliance when she's cooking/baking (and is closest to my prep sink, hence the GFCI).

Plug on the bottom is in the cavity where my 42-bottle wine fridge will be placed.

I have no where else I can place a plug because the cabinets in between are all drawers (and frankly cutting into this island is not possible anymore). Sounds like I'm already straying from code in terms of plug placement (since I can't get a plug in the middle somewhere). At this point I guess I'll have to settle for at least having the plugs wired properly.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #14
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionized
I know that I am butting in here, but it seems like a good place to ask what the logic is behind regulations about what receptacles should be powered in what pattern (every other etc.). Unless the homeowner is aware and pays attention to what is plugged into what circuit it seems unlikely that any set pattern is more likely than another to prevent overloads and tripping. All in all, if only two circuits are going to be used in a kitchen the Canadian system would seem to be the easiest to keep track of with top and bottom of the duplexes consistently on different circuits.
They're only seperate if you use splits. And a split doesn't count as two circuits. You need two sets of splits so at that point you essentially have four circuits. No one does kitchens this way anymore due to its way cheaper to have a 20a gfci than a two pole gfci breaker. It is in the code though nevertheless.