Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

How many 12 AWG Runs in a piece of 2" sch. 80?

Can anyone tell me how many 12/2 runs I can put into a piece of 2 inch schedule 80?

Thanks!

mntnvew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Can you be a tad bit more specific? The question is a little vague.

wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
elect, contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnvew View Post
Can anyone tell me how many 12/2 runs I can put into a piece of 2 inch schedule 80?

Thanks!
what type of wire? are you refering to 12/2 romex,,, ac90,,,,sj,,,,sow? or single strand 12's like a t90,,,,,rw90,,,, tw75,,,,rwu90?

you could easily reference it in the NEC, there is a table, unfortunately it does not list cable sets in a pipe. when you find that information you must also remember to derate the amperage value of the wire according to how many you put in the pipe,,, the more you put in the less amperage they can carry.

I am not sure where you are (US, Can) or what state or province so I can't really give you quotes from my code book as it applies to my area, though I have no doubts that it would be very simular. but wire type is needed for acuracy on count and deration.
ACB Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACB Electric View Post
what type of wire? are you refering to 12/2 romex,,, ac90,,,,sj,,,,sow? or single strand 12's like a t90,,,,,rw90,,,, tw75,,,,rwu90?

you could easily reference it in the NEC, there is a table, unfortunately it does not list cable sets in a pipe. when you find that information you must also remember to derate the amperage value of the wire according to how many you put in the pipe,,, the more you put in the less amperage they can carry.

I am not sure where you are (US, Can) or what state or province so I can't really give you quotes from my code book as it applies to my area, though I have no doubts that it would be very simular. but wire type is needed for acuracy on count and deration.
I am in Rural SW Montana USA. I asm speaking about 12/2 romex. This is a pole barn that i am wiring.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
Can you be a tad bit more specific? The question is a little vague.
I have a sub panel in my barn and I am using left over 2" sch. 80 to run the romex 12/2 out of the sub panel, up my wall to the cieling where I will run the wire along the rafters.

I want to know how many runs I can put into this 2" sch. 80. I am sure it isnt "as many as I can fit".

The maker of the sch 80 said it should be printed on the sch 80 but it is not.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

If it's not over 2' long then you won't have to derate. 86 #12's can go in a 2" if you strip the sheathing, but I'm thinking you may need UF for this.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
If it's not over 2' long then you won't have to derate. 86 #12's can go in a 2" if you strip the sheathing, but I'm thinking you may need UF for this.
I dont NEED anything, there are NO electrical codes where i live for pole barn, especially since i am so far outside any town/city limits. I just wanted to be sure it was not a fire hazard by sticking too many runs in the 2" pipe.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #8

PS - I am NOT going to be stripping the romex. So it appears that the 14 runs I need will be FINE within the 2" sch. 80. Right?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #9

Also, quick side question, what is the best way to bring wires into a panel? Those metal holders (tighted to wire and then screw ring nut on after you put it into the panel)?

Basically I used the 2" sch 80 as a conduit out of the top of the panel to the ceiling, there the romax just exits the tube and is stapled to the rafters.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
DIYer

14 12/2 romex cables in a 2 inch pipe? Will that even fit?

Since there's no electrical code for barns in your area, I'd just go with whatever fits easily in the pipe.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #11
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnvew View Post
I dont NEED anything, there are NO electrical codes where i live for pole barn, especially since i am so far outside any town/city limits. I just wanted to be sure it was not a fire hazard by sticking too many runs in the 2" pipe.

Here are the actual codes if your interested....

(C) Cables
Where cable is used, each cable shall be secured to the cabinet, cutout box, or
meter socket enclosure.
The main rule of 312.5(C) prohibits the installation of several cables bunched together
and run through a knockout or chase nipple. Individual cable clamps or connectors are
required to be used with only one cable per clamp or connector, unless the clamp or
connector is identified for more than a single cable.

Exception: Cables with entirely nonmetallic sheaths shall be permitted to enter the top of
a surface-mounted enclosure through one or more nonflexible raceways not less than 450
mm (18 in.) and not more than 3.0 m (10 ft) in length, provided all of the following
conditions are met:
(a) Each cable is fastened within 300 mm (12 in.), measured along the sheath, of the
outer end of the raceway.
(b) The raceway extends directly above the enclosure and does not penetrate a
structural ceiling.
(c) A fitting is provided on each end of the raceway to protect the cable(s) from
abrasion and the fittings remain accessible after installation.
(d) The raceway is sealed or plugged at the outer end using approved means so as to
prevent access to the enclosure through the raceway.
(e) The cable sheath is continuous through the raceway and extends into the enclosure
beyond the fitting not less than 6 mm (
1/ 4 in.).
(f) The raceway is fastened at its outer end and at other points in accordance with the
applicable article.
(g) Where installed as conduit or tubing, the allowable cable fill does not exceed that
permitted for complete conduit or tubing systems by Table 1 of Chapter 9 of this Code
and all applicable notes thereto.

This exception allows multiple nonmetallic cables such as Type NM, NMC, NMS, UF,
SE, and USE to enter the top of a surface-mounted enclosure through a nonflexible
raceway sleeve or nipple. These sleeves or nipples are permitted to be between 18 in.
and 10 ft in length. However, if the nipple length exceeds 24 in., the ampacity
adjustment factors of 310.15(B)(2) apply.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
Cow

Code says that since that pipe is used for physical protection, you can stuff as many as you want in it. I'd staple them good at the top, drop 'em down the pipe and duct seal the top of the conduit to keep the bird droppings and rodents out of your panel. I'd use what's called a bell bushing or even a male adapter with plastic bushing to protect the romex where it enters the conduit from the sharp corners.

EDIT: Chris beat me to it.

Last edited by Cow; 01-26-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
Code says that since that pipe is used for physical protection, you can stuff as many as you want in it. I'd staple them good at the top, drop 'em down the pipe and duct seal the top of the conduit to keep the bird droppings and rodents out of your panel. I'd use what's called a bell bushing or even a male adapter with plastic bushing to protect the romex where it enters the conduit from the sharp corners.
Did you read my code section? 312.5 (C) does not agree with you at all.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #14
DIYer

I don't know why you all are debating NEC, he already said the NEC does not apply to barns in his area.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
I don't know why you all are debating NEC, he already said the NEC does not apply to barns in his area.

Because he is asking if its alright to do what he wants to do, IMO if no codes are in order, then why ask if its okay?