How To Lower An Electrical Outlet On A Wall - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

How to lower an electrical outlet on a wall

We just purchased a house that has a built-in bar we're removing, and the only outlet in that area of the room is set above the bar's cabinet about mid-way up the wall. We'd obviously like to lower this outlet to a normal position. How do we tackle this?

Advertisement

slantedview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

Depends, which way are the wires run?
Horizontal, from the attic, from below?
Any access in the attic, or crawl space to run a new wire?

Advertisement

electures (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Depends, which way are the wires run?
Horizontal, from the attic, from below?
Any access in the attic, or crawl space to run a new wire?
Wires are probably coming in from above. There may be room to run a new wire, but I'm not sure how far it would need to be run.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantedview View Post
Wires are probably coming in from above. There may be room to run a new wire, but I'm not sure how far it would need to be run.
If you don't want a junction box then you will need to replace it all the way back to its origin. If you don't mind a junction box (which means clear access to it) then you only need to replace back to the newly installed box.
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
If you don't want a junction box then you will need to replace it all the way back to its origin. If you don't mind a junction box (which means clear access to it) then you only need to replace back to the newly installed box.
A junction box with a wall plate is probably fine - anything is better than running wires for our lamps up the wall to the existing outlet. How do I do this - does the existing outlet need to be pulled and the box switched to a junction box or can the existing box be used somehow? I'm not familiar with the details...
Old 07-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 195

Quote:
Probably ?
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 632

You could use the old box as a junction box, but then your stuck with an ugly blank cover in the wall that does nothing.
Running a new wire would be the best way.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
Probably ?
I'm not sure how to check.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #9

Quote:
I haven't crawled up in the attic yet to check and the wall is such that it would be inconvenient for them to be running laterally, so yes, probably.
Ok, why don't you just open box and tell us how many and from what direction romex are coming into box and we can guide you in from there?
Old 07-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
Ok, why don't you just open box and tell us how many and from what direction romex are coming into box and we can guide you in from there?
Sure, I can do that Tuesday when I take possession of the house (still in escrow right now) Should I kill power to that box before digging in there to guess the romex direction?
Old 07-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Sure, I can do that Tuesday when I take possession of the house (still in escrow right now) Should I kill power to that box before digging in there to guess the romex direction?
always a good thing (but I wouldn't)

take a pic
Old 07-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 694

Quote:
I'm not sure how to check.
hmmm...as a fellow DIYer if you are really not sure what you are doing may be it's best to hire a pro.

You can sort of learn as you go on capentry worst is you end up with a nail in your head or saw a finger off, plumbing you may end up with a flooded home, but electrical is nothing to poke around with seriously.
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 83

The easiest way to get a good view is to unscrew the outlet and pull it clear of the box. You definitely want the power off for that.
Run and find ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #14
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
hmmm...as a fellow DIYer if you are really not sure what you are doing may be it's best to hire a pro.

You can sort of learn as you go on capentry worst is you end up with a nail in your head or saw a finger off, plumbing you may end up with a flooded home, but electrical is nothing to poke around with seriously.
And Miami has a good point.... For the Lord's sake, Don't use your nail gun, while standing on the table saw, to nail plumbing hangers, while near an electrical line......
Old 07-21-2014, 03:14 AM   #15

I've done this quite a few times and it is actually very simple assuming you are okay with the following:
Power tools (oscillation saw or dry wall knife is best for this job)
Plastering
Electrical work

The process is simple and easy to do as long as you do it slowly and safely.
1. Locate your fuse box and make sure the power is off to that outlet that you are trying to move.
2. Depending on how the outlet is seated in the dry wall (i am assuming its mounted in dry wall), remove the face plate and unhook the wires taking note if where they belong.
3. Once disconnected, take out the outlet's casing and make sure not to let the wires fall back into the wall. Simplest way is to tie a string to it.
4. Take your oscillation tool and cut a hole that will just fit the outlet's casing snugly where you want to new outlet.
5. Once done, use the appropriate gauge and length of wire and combine the walls wires with the new ones using a electrical end cap.
6. Run the wires behind the wall by tying a string to the 3 wires and dropping it behind the drywall so that you can reach it through the other hole you just made.
7. Reseat the outlet box to the new opening and rewire as before and replace face plate.
8. To fix the hole that is left over, go to local hardware store and ask for a dry wall patch and follow instructions.

Simple as that

Advertisement

XpressDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote